10.30.2011

Day 162

Today was an incredibly productive day and I did all of the things.  And by that I really mean that it was a fantastic day where I got a small quantity of things done but was strangely ok with it.


I got up this morning and went grocery shopping.  I didn't need too many things, so I just went to Meijer.  The only things I could have gotten at Aldi were the oatmeal and soup.  I spent an extra $2 between those but saved about $1 in gas.  So I ended up spending $1 but saved another 30 minutes in travel and shopping time.  So assuming that my time is worth more than $2 an hour I still came out ahead.  According to my assistantship my time is currently worth around $15 an hour, so I'm going to say overall I had a net profit.  I started keeping an Access database to keep all of the prices for the things that I purchase.  That was I can easily compare prices (base prices, not sale prices) and determine the best place to get things.  For instance: is it more cost effective to get frozen chicken at Aldi or Meijer?  Because they're both around $2 a pound.  BUT Aldi chicken comes frozen separately, which is far easier to work with.  But usually has more fat than Meijer chicken.  So which is a better deal?  Usually I end up going with Aldi just because it's cheaper and easier.  But I like having all of the details readily available.  I also include brands, weight or quantity, and whether the item is taxable.  I think it will be very helpful once I get a large variety.  I think I'm also going to include city so that I can use the same database when I move without losing data.  Maybe also the date I last update the price.  Yeah, I need to add both of those.


Anyhow, after grocery shopping I came back and waited for Jessie and Richard to pick me up for church.  Richard texted me earlier this morning saying that I should wear my suit because he was going to.  So I did.  I had an elderly man come to me and tell me I looked quite dapper.  Twice.  I think he forgot he'd already introduced himself to me.  He was nice.


After church I went to Jessie's for lunch.  We had hot dogs and beans!  I felt at home.  Growing up we had hot dogs and beans after church almost every Sunday.  Good times for sure.  During lunch I asked Jessie how work was going, so she was telling us about some of the exciting things she's had going on recently.  She also took the opportunity to remind us that having the title "Doctor" does not imply any amount of true intelligence.  Silly doctors not having common sense!


When I got home from Jessie and Richard's I considered doing homework.  But first I looked over my exam for a little bit.  I really want to make sure I don't have any errors.  I'm going to print it off tomorrow and then work through it myself so that I can have the answers and hopefully check (again) for errors.  Then I was tired so I took a nap.  It was nice.  After my nap I decided that I still didn't feel like doing homework.  A couple minutes after my nap cousin Nick called me, so I talked with him for a while.  That was good.  He and I haven't talked in a while.  He's test driving cars for GM right now and making good money, but he said that he's going to be quite ready to start grad school next year.  As much as I would like to have more money to my name (and to not be in school anymore), I think that it will be best for me if I just get school out of the way before moving on with life.  But yeah, he and I had a nice chat.  After I talked with Nick I played Team Fortress for a little bit.  But it was already close to dinner time so I didn't play for very long.  I heated up some of the ham I made the other day and made some mashed potatoes.  I made pasta salad the other day but still haven't really eaten any of it.  Oops.


After dinner I finally got around to doing homework.  It actually made sense and I could do it!  Yay!  When I was finished with homework I played Team Fortress with Miles.  That was fun.  Then I was going to go make chicken for lunch tomorrow, but I had a little bit left over from last week, so I'm just going to use that tomorrow so I can put off making chicken for another day.  Then I got an email from one of my students asking questions on the practice exam.  I'm nervous for a lot of them...I really hope that they've been studying because many of them have not been understanding the material.  I tried to weight some of the questions so that the ones we didn't cover for as long aren't worth as much... I felt like that would be fair.  But still... we'll see what happens.


And now I'm going to bed.  I'm really hoping I get my life contingencies exam back in the morning...but we'll see!  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment