10.14.2011

Day 146

Today started off with me getting up.  I always like when my days start that way.  After I got up I showered and ate breakfast.  I finished my bread.  I need to get more when I go shopping on Wednesday.


In finance we look more at bonds and determining their cost.  It always seems so straight forward in class, but I know that it will become way trickier when I have to do the problems on my own.


In between classes I went to talk with Mr. Dean about my resume.  I've been really concerned with my lack of internship interviews so I brought in my resume to see if there was something wrong with it.  He has some formatting suggestions but he said there was nothing wrong with it except that I have not passed any actuarial exams.  I explained my schedule for taking them and said it was a very good plan.  But he explained the very thing that I was guessing: I have a fine resume, but nothing stands out.  Every person applying for these internships has a good GPA, is good at math, has worked jobs where they have to deal with people.  My programming and Excel/Access experience is helpful, but it's not enough to set me apart from everyone else.  Pretty much each of the things on my resume is helpful, but there is no one thing that sets me apart.  But he didn't seem concerned at all about getting an internship.  More than once he encouraged me that I will get a job even if I don't have an internship.  As long as I keep taking and passing exams.  He did say that it would be very appropriate to email the companies after I pass an exam with my updated resume on the chance that they have an opening (or can make an opening) for me.  Afterwards we just talked about being an actuary and he explained more about what work he has done and what I can expect.  He said that when you become a manager you no longer have to do data analysis and number crunching.  That's for the interns and analysts. As a manager I get to come up with the ideas and let everyone else work out the details.  And I think that sounds like a lot of fun. It was really helpful talking with him.  I feel much better about how things are going.  This semester I'm going to focus on getting good grades.  After this semester I'll start studying for FM and see how things go from there.  I'll be happy if I can take FM, P, and MLC before I graduate.  Taking MFE would be an extra wonderful bonus.  But I'll worry about the first three first.


After my meeting with Mr. Dean I went to his class.  Today we were in the computer lab learning how to construct life tables in excel.  It wasn't too bad. Putting in the formulas is always frustrating.  I was getting the wrong answer for so long because I had one parenthesis in the wrong place.  But after I got that fixed it worked just fine.


After class it was "get ready to come to Mount Vernon then Findlay" time!  Which meant eating, packing, and figuring out how to get to Mount Vernon. Apparently 36 was closed so I had to find a different way.  I finally left around 12:40.  It was a pretty uneventful trip.  I just... drove.  Listened to music.  Danced to my music.  Got some coffee.  Listened to more music.  Danced to more music.  Drove.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Arrive at Mount Vernon.  When Kimmy was ready we got her stuff packed up, got food, got gas, then headed to Findlay!


We got here around 7 or so.  Then just sat around and talked with parents.  I did some grading.  Jessie and Richard got here as well.  I finished grading.  Talked with people.  And...thus concludes my night!  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment