10.21.2011

Day 153

Well, got through another week, it seems.


We had class this morning.  We talked about bond repayment in finance.  It seems to be a lot like loan amortization.  I don't know if that will  make it easier or harder.  In between classes I had a meeting with the other math GA instructors.  The guy who was in charge (I don't remember his name) made a comment that really made me think.  He said that our book is called "A Mathematical View of our World," which to him means that our students should be able to use this math outside of the classroom.  But he realized that he wasn't teaching it that way.  And I'm sure that none of us really are.  Dr. Fischer pointed out that the idea of using math outside of this class is really more about understanding things that are heard, not necessarily about doing math outside of class.  But the point was well made: what do our students need to know about math outside of academia?  It was a good question.


Life contingencies went well.  We talked about how to price insurance premiums.  Mr. Dean talked a lot about the sort of things that make pricing difficult.  It was a good discussion.


Then I had lunch in my office.  Read some life contingencies.  Then I went to go work out.  Biceps and triceps today.  It went.  Much better than running did yesterday.  I still don't like working out.


When I was done I showered, folded some laundry, and did some grading.  Erica came over to work on life contingencies.  She'd been having trouble with some of the concepts so I tried to help.  I invited everyone else over, but I guess they were busy.  Which is too bad because they also missed out on dinner.  Their loss.  But aside from studying we had a good time.  We discussed how we really don't understand a lot of the people here.  It was comforting to me to know that I'm not the only person who's confused.


Originally I was going to go hang out with Dustin, Kathryn, Timbo, and his girlfriend... but I guess they all had different plans.  So I just stayed in tonight.  I was pretty bummed because Timbo and I had been planning this for a couple days and everyone else seemed excited.  But I guess not.  Oh well.  I hadn't gone to see the guys across the parking lot for a while, so I paid them a visit.  They were doing well.  I like them.  I can only remember one guy's name.  Thankfully I'm pretty good at never using names.  But I had fun talking with them.


So yeah.  It's bed time now.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment