10.06.2011

Day 137

Today started really well.  I woke up before my alarm went off so I got some reading done for finance that I hadn't intended on doing.  That was nice.  We went through chapter 4 very quickly (less than 3 days, instead of about 2 weeks).  So I've been trying to get caught up on that... I know that it's not super important material (the book even says so), but really want to make sure I can do the problems.


I went to my office around 9:20 and did some grading.  I hadn't planned on coming back to my apartment, but I had forgotten my portfolio folder which I needed for my interview.  I really don't need it, but it's part of my outfit, so I figured it would be worth going to get it.


When I got back I started reading finance.  Then I called Airwaves because we've been having a lot of issues with the internet connection.  Over the past week the download rate dropped to about a tenth of what it was when I moved in.  I was not ok with that.  Everything was super slow.  So I called and after being on hold for a while (maybe 15 minutes, which really isn't that bad) I talked with someone who said that they would be sending a technician out to look into it.  About an hour later I got another call saying that they had done some looking into the issue and it wasn't just my apartment, so someone would be going to work on the entire apartment complex this afternoon.  Excellent.  In the mean time I kept reading finance.  Around 2 I was feeling really tired so I decided to take a short nap.  My interview wasn't until 4, so I figured that sleeping until 3 would be great.


Yeah.


My alarm didn't go off.  I woke up (praise Jesus) at 3:35.  I had been deep asleep.  I was so disoriented when I woke up.... I knew that I was supposed to be awake at 3 and that I had something very important at 4... but I had no idea what it was.  It was very confusing.  I had no idea what day it was or why I needed to be up, but I was certain that whatever it was, it was terribly important and I needed to hurry to get there.  Finally as I looked around and noticed that I was wearing my suit it hit me that I had an interview at 4.  And I had exactly 23 minutes to drive to campus and walk to Lucina hall (which is obviously not near any of the commuter lots).  Still incredibly disoriented, I grabbed my backpack (I had class after my interview) and portfolio and ran out the door.  By the time I got to the commuter lot closest to Lucina it was 3:55.  So I ran from my car to Lucina and made it there right at 4.  Last night I did some research on Oneamerica, but today I hadn't had time to collect my thoughts and get into interview mode.


Basically it went terribly.  My mind was still very cloudy from my nap.  They asked me questions and I just could not bring my thoughts together to form good, concise, and understandable answers.  So I found myself saying things that really weren't relevant and made no sense.  More than once the lady from HR had a puzzled look on her face, like she really didn't know what I was saying.  It was also difficult because there were two people, and I didn't know whether I should talk with the actuary or the lady from HR.  So I tried to just go back and forth between them, unless I had a question or statement for one of them specifically.  But I just couldn't bring my thoughts together.  I honestly considered just leaving during the interview.  I considered just standing up and saying "I'm really sorry for wasting your time, I just am not prepared for this interview.  Good luck finding a candidate."  But I didn't.  I figured there's infinitesimal sliver of hope that they won't completely reject me.  They asked me why I wanted to work for Oneamerica.  I hate that question.  It's unnecessary.  They want you to give them some line about how their company is better than all the others and all that other garbage.  But the reality is that I'll take whatever internship I am offered.  That's the truth. And that's what I told them.  I said "If I can be honest, I applied for a lot of internships.  And you were one of the companies that was interested in an interview with me.  I don't want to sound brash, but I'm going to take any internship that is offered to me."  I used a similar line during my Jackson interview, but she and I had been joking the entire time and the mood was much lighter.  So the lady from Jackson understood my point, but didn't take offense to it.  She understood that we had all been looking for whatever internship we could get.  The ladies from Oneamerica did not take it the same way.  Yeah.  Um... I'm glad that's over.  It was incredibly awkward.


So then I went to class.  I drove to the other end of campus and parked in the other commuter lot.  I was going to wait for the shuttle, but after waiting for 10 minutes I just got tired of waiting.  I didn't see the shuttle at all on my walk to class, which is odd.  But I got to class and tried to make sense of what was going on.  It didn't go well.


After class I felt like eating a hamburger.  So as Tim, Erica, Jordan and I walked back to our cars I asked if any of them wanted to join me.  Only Erica accepted, so we went to Steak and Shake.  And it was tasty.  I got the guacamole burger.  So much goodness.  Grandpa called me.  Pat is out of the hospital (she had pneumonia recently) but he won't be able to meet up with Jessie and me during his current visit to Indiana.  She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon.  So prayers are appreciated for her.


When I got back I talked with Clifton about my excellent interview.  I was about to start planning for my lesson tomorrow when Jessie called and asked if I wanted to go get ice cream.  I accepted.  I hadn't seen them this week, so that was nice.  I told them about my awesome interview.


When we returned from ice cream I worked on my lesson plan.  Talked with Derrick on Facebook about the recent death of Steve Jobs.  Talked with Chelsea about the trials of being a GA instructor and all the work and stress of grad school.  Finished my lesson plan.  And now... It's time for bed.  Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment