10.06.2011

Day 138

Today was a good day.  My brain is really tired.. but it was a good day.


This morning in finance we talked about amortization scheduling and how all that works.  It was really interesting.  Then we started to learn how to determine how much each payment should be to repay a loan over a certain number of years and also how to determine how much of each payment each year goes to interest and how much goes to repaying the loan.  It was pretty interesting.  I felt like I understood it really well.  Finally.


Between classes we all went to our table at the Atrium.  Dustin and I talked about the sort of things that scare us in movies and stories and such.  And how we get an adrenaline rush from scary movies and such.  We're scared... but the rush is addicting.  It's a weird feeling.


Life contingencies was pretty good.  We talked about more annuities.  I don't even remember what kinds we talked about today.  There have been so many.  After class I went to go teach 125.  That went ok.  We had to talk about variance today.  It just takes so long and I'm sure that most of them didn't understand.  But there wasn't much I could do aside from keep on going.  There just wasn't enough time for everything.


After class I went to my office and had lunch.  One of the other guys with whom I share an office was there.  I can't think of his name right now.  Anyhow, he's in my stats class.  He was telling me about Bangladesh (his home country) and how his experience has been.  I feel really bad for him.  Apparently after he graduates he has 3 months to find a job here, otherwise he has to go back home.  And working at his job there he would make about 1/20 of what he would make here as a statistician.  And his parents are near the age of retirement (which is a specific age if you work for the government) and so it will be up to him to support his family once they retire.  Additionally, he had to go through so much to come here.  He had to take a lot of tests to show that he could assimilate into our culture.  The application fees were also really expensive.  He was saying that most grad schools charge a $100 application fee.  But in Bangladesh, $100 could take care of your general living expenses (except for housing) for about a month and a half.  So... it took a lot to get over here.  And on top of that, most companies aren't going to hire someone from another country. And he knows that.  He also knows that his spoken English is going to hurt him when he's looking for a job.  He's definitely understandable, but he has a moderate accent and sometimes it takes him a few seconds to get his thoughts together.  I can tell that he's trying really hard, but it's just difficult to try to be fluent in another language, especially when the people who taught English in Bangladesh probably were not native English speakers.  It's just a bad situation all around.  But I really liked talking with him.  Saha.  His name is Saha.


After my office hours I went to go study life contingencies with Tim in his office.  It was wonderful.  We started at the beginning of chapter 5 and took every equation, thought about what it means and why it means that.  That was incredibly helpful.  So we did that for about two hours.  Afterwards my brain was done.   But I felt really good about that material.


When I got back I was hungry.  But I didn't eat.  Instead I played Just Cause for a little bit.  I wasn't ready to do school yet.  I had soup for dinner.  It wasn't soup day.  It threw me off a bit.  But I managed.  After dinner I called airwaves again.  My internet was slow.  Again.  I talked with one lady for about half an hour.  Then we got disconnected.  And everything was fine.  So... I don't know what was going on.  But that's ok.


Then I called mom and caught her up on my life.  Talked with dad for a little bit.  Then I did some homework.  Cleaned up the kitchen.  Made a mess of my bed.  Played Team Fortress with James.  Discussed homework with Dustin.  And now it's bed time.  Good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment