10.13.2011

Day 145

Last day before break = completed.  I will be on break in less than 12 hours.


So today.  I got up a tad late, but that's ok.  I walked from the parking lot with Jordan and Erica.  I have no idea what we talked about... that feels like it was 8 years ago.  In finance we started talking about bonds.  And I had a terrible time following.  I just couldn't focus.  I kept zoning in and out.


In between classes some of us had a very nice rant about why we're not getting many internship interviews.  It really comes down to the fact that the people getting interviews have one thing that really stands out.  The one guy who has 2 exams passed.  Another who has 1 exam, good grades, and research experience. The girl who had a 4.0 GPA and played soccer.  So even though I'm achieving on par with (or better than) some of the people getting lots of interviews... that isn't translating into much for me at the moment.  So that's been really difficult and stressful, just knowing that I've only gotten three interviews, I bombed one of them and got a rejection email from the other.  I hope my interview on Wednesday goes well. I'm pretty nervous since it might be for their "professional employment" position, not an internship.  In which case... they must not have looked at my resume closely at all.  Because I definitely say that I'm looking for an internship and I certainly have no exams passed.  And everyone else at the table was in pretty much the same situation. So tomorrow I'm going to talk with my advisor to see if there is something I should change about my resume.  I'm just getting really worried about the lack of interviews I've had.  I know that there will be more in the future... but I just get nervous.


During life contingencies Mr. Dean was going to show us how to build life tables in Excel, but the projector wasn't cooperating.  So we didn't do that.  We just worked some more on this problem and... I'm not really sure what we were trying to do most of the time.


Then I taught.  We did some more stuff with probabilities.  After class I gave them a possibility for some extra credit.  They have to give me an explanation to the classic Monty Hall problem.  And I need to bee convinced that they understand.  We'll see how that goes.


After class I went to my office, ate lunch, and looked online for internships that don't require an actuarial exam.  There aren't many.  I don't even know how many I filled out.  They take so long... I might have done 5 in 2 hours.  When I finished with that I met Kathryn in the computer lab to work on Finance.  I had invited everyone else but they were all busy.  This finance assignment was done in Excel and I'm pretty comfortable with Excel.  So I showed her how to use formulae and all that fun stuff.  It was pretty straight forward.  I think we finished it in just under two hours.


I made stir fry for dinner.  It was pretty good.  I added a little too much cayenne pepper again.  It was good... just a little too much kick.  Oh well.  I was going to go work out... and grade... but neither happened.  Grading shouldn't take long. Maybe an hour.  Something.  It will get done.  But not tonight.  Because I'm going to bed now.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment