10.12.2011

Day 143

I just had to check my clock to see what day it was.  I thought it was at least Thursday.  Nope.  Still Tuesday.  Which is good, since I still have plenty to do before I leave on Friday.


Since it is still Tuesday, that means that I had class this morning.  It seems like so long ago.  Actually it seems like an entire day has past since I went to class.  In Finance we got a homework assignment due after break.  It appears that I'll need to brush up on my Excel skills, because he wants it all done there.  Which in the end will make it easier, I just haven't used much Excel recently.


In between classes I did some work in the computer lab.  Timbo and David where there also.  And I put in a course request submission for the spring.  While I was up there, Mr. Dean came by and told us about an exam P prep class that will be offered in the spring that he highly recommends.  So I'm going to take that instead of corporate finance, which I figure I will have ample opportunities to take at some other time.


During Life Contingencies we learned that we will be having a project that will involve Excel (since that's a very useful tool for actuaries).  But Mr. Dean is going to give us an Excel lesson before hand, because most people are not very confident with it.  So that will be good.  I'm decent with Excel for basic formula editing and such, but nothing too advanced.


After class I taught.  It's very difficult to transition between a finance/probability class to... intro math.  But I think I've been doing alright.  I didn't feel very prepared for my lesson today.  There was just so much information to cover today.  But I got through it with a few minutes to spare, so I just went through a few examples, even though I know that they're going to complain that I didn't cover enough of the material for the homework.  After class was over Caleb came up to me.  He informed me that it was Keegan's birthday and that they were going to lunch with some of their friends to celebrate.  They wanted to know if I would like to join.  It sounded like fun, so I decided to join them.  It turns out that the main reason they asked me was because they wanted to go to some dining area on campus at which students are not allowed to eat during the lunch hour...unless accompanied by an instructor.  So I went in there, explained that the group of 5 guys (only two of whom are in my class) are with me.  But that there was no way I was going to pay for them :)  It was a very nice set up and the food was really good.  I also enjoyed talking with those guys.  It was a lot of fun.  I was telling them that I always pack my own lunch because I live on a pretty tight budget.  I explained how I usually spend around $25 a week on groceries and that lunch (generally) costs me around $6 for the week.  One of the guys looks at me and says "I just spent over $8 on this lunch... you're crazy."  Most of my friends feel that way as well.  But I manage.


After lunch I went to go work out.  That was less fun than lunch.  I did finally find the locker room and the scale.  Apparently since moving to school I've lost 12 pounds, which would explain why my pants feel so big.  I guess I can thank regular exercise, less food, lower carbs, and salads everyday for lunch.  And usually sufficient sleep.


When I had finished my work out I came back, took a shower, then did some internship related stuff.  I sent an email to thank my interview from last week, sent another email to Jackson to see where there were in the review process for interns, and then applied to some place that Mr. Dean recommended to us.  That took a while because the website tried to just take information from my resume and... I think it tried to just throw it around into random text boxes while simultaneously destroying my meticulous formatting, instead of trying to preserve experience and explanations in a natural progression.  So if that was the intention, I've never seen such an effective website.


After that I did a little states homework.  Then it was time to go to the informational session for Aon-Hewitt.  It was really good.  The two guys presenting were very nice, younger, and lively.  They were very excited about their jobs and their company.  I liked that.  I was sad that I didn't get offered an interview though.  I think that would have been a good interview.  They seemed to like me.  There were only 5 of us at this session... I'm not sure why.  But it was nice to have that close atmosphere.  And then we got to all take pizzas home because there was so much extra!  Woo!


When I got back I worked on stats some more.  Then...decided that I couldn't concentrate anymore so I played Team Fortress for a bit.  I talked with Dustin on Facebook about some of the homework and we got another problem finished. It's difficult to do math via any sort of textual message, especially when so many of the things we do have superscripts and subscripts....


And now it's bed time.  Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment