10.24.2012

Day 520

More things.

Well, it's back to school today.  My morning started pretty much as usual: after breakfast I did homework.  I don't have a lot due this week, so it's a nice transition back into school.  But yeah, I started with homework til lunch time.  After lunch I went to class.

Also, I need to get a haircut soon.  Duly noted.

So then class happened.  It was pretty normal, I suppose.  In between classes I did the last homework problem because apparently I'd written the wrong number down.  So I fixed that.

There's some big news that I've been sharing with my friends in my program.  Backstory: in the American actuarial world, there are two governing organizations that deal with two different areas of insurance, namely the SOA and the CAS.  They both have their own sets of exams, but the first 4 are the same and are "jointly administered."  This just means that the exams are identical count in both societies towards your exam progress.  However, at the end of next year this will no longer be the case.  Meaning that the first SOA exam will no longer count for the first CAS exam (but right now it does).  The big issue with this is that if you want to get into property insurance (like automobile insurance), this is governed by the CAS.  But college students really have no idea what area they want to go into... in fact most of us would be happy with any area and just want a job.  But at the same time, you have to have at least two exams before getting a job.  So in the near future, students will be faced with the dilemma of being forced to eliminate career paths early on or retake previous exams.  Which would be awful.  And the main reason behind this is just organizational politics.  But ultimately, students lose.

Funny story from last night.  After we got in bed, we noticed that there was a fly buzzing around.  This wasn't really a big deal... to us, anyhow.  But our cats felt that it was a VERY big deal.  So they spent the next 20 or so minutes jumping at it, trying to bat it off the wall or out of the air.  It was pretty silly. Bacon gave up pretty early on, but Beans kept at it.  Which really didn't make a lot of sense because Beans has no jumping ability.  She still can't make it onto the tables from the floor.  But she kept trying!  Eventually she figured out that she could brace her front paws against the wall, giving her more vertical leverage.  And every few minutes she'd give it another jump.  I was just about to turn the lights off when she jumped.... and actually batted it down for the last time.  She'd hit it maybe three other times, but it kept getting back up.  But not this time... the fly was done.  And then she ate her spoils of war.  It was glorious.

So back to today.  We had some leftovers for dinner because we were too lazy to make anything new.  But I do like having regular leftovers.  It ensures that food doesn't mold and it's cheaper.  I think that the only food that's gone bad was from the time that our refrigerator stopped working.  So that's good.  I'm sure there have been other times, but I just don't recall them.

After dinner I did some work for my lesson tomorrow.  It's a review day, so I made study guides and emailed them off to my class.  I think a lot of my students are really close to understanding... but they probably aren't there yet.  Hopefully tomorrow helps!

Ok.  It's time for bed now.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment