9.23.2012

Day 488

Yesterday morning began with the usual rituals: breakfast, then grocery shopping.  We didn't need anything from the farmer's market, so we didn't go.  Kimmy could only accompany me to one store since she had to work at 11.  So after I dropped her off at home I went to the other stores.  I bought a fire-proof safe!  I figured that would be a good investment.

When I got home I ate lunch, did some grading, did some other stuff around the house... and just alternated between those three all afternoon.  When Kimmy got home we made hamburgers and fries for dinner.  Kimmy tried a new recipe for fries and they were really tasty.

After dinner I finished up my grading and did a correlation study between the grade and the order in which the students finished.  When determining how to variables correlate, one way it can be done is by observing their "correlation coefficient," which is a number that ranges from -1 to +1.  If the number is near  -1 then as variable A goes up, variable B generally goes down, such as the number of years of corn harvested and price.  If the number is near +1 then both variables go up at the same time, like dollars earned and the amount taken in income tax.  I will not explain how you get the correlation coefficient... but it uses math.  Anyhow, a 0 means that there is no correlation between the two variables.  Well.... there was a 0.04 correlation coefficient.  So it is almost completely uncorrelated.  Oh well!

Around 8:40 or so, Kathryn, Erica, and Paul came over, then we all went down to Indianapolis and go to the dueling pianos club "Howl at the Moon."  I had a lot of fun.  They had a band of probably two pianos, drums, and a handful of other instruments (such as guitars and violins and such) and they played a bunch of songs.  I knew about a third of them.  But it was fun.  It would have been nice if we'd been able to sit down at one of the tables, but it was pretty packed.  Dustin met up with us later on with a couple of his friends.  And then we left around 12:15 and came home.  We were all pretty tired.

The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment