9.11.2012

Day 477

Part 1: Teaching

The lesson went decently.  I'm always amazed at how the entire room changes almost exactly at 10:30.  For the first hour of class they're nearly lifeless... but as soon as 10:30 strikes they're attentive and ready ask or answer questions.  It's really quite remarkable.  There are a few students who try to participate throughout the class, but it really picks up at 10:30.  I gave their exams back today.  I don't think many of them were thrilled, but with a 75% average and not too many low outliers I wasn't upset.  They have plenty of time to acquire more points.

Part 2: Studying and class

After I finished teaching I worked on an assignment with Timbo.  It took us a little bit to figure out what was being asked and how to answer it, but after we got started it went pretty quickly.  Then we got some lunch and discussed farming.  Well, kind of.  We talked about how it sounded like fun and that maybe someday in the future (like post-retirement) we might give it a try.  I think that for me it's the idea that physical labor is so satisfying.  But alternatively I like a job that is a little more mathematical.  And stable.  When there is a drought... I'll still have a secure job as an actuary.  Maybe I can get my fill by growing a garden.  I would like to do that after Kimmy and I get a house.  I'd like to grow some herbs and small vegetables.  It would be fun!

Then we had class.  We've been talking about how to augment multiple regression formulas into a matrix and apply linear algebra to manipulate those matrices.  This allows us to make models more precise, but also makes things more complicated.

Part 3: Errands, dinner, and the Allstate presentation

When I got home Kimmy and I got ready to run some errands.  We stopped by the Social Security office to get her new card... but they closed at 3:30. You know, because 9 - 3:30 is a normal work day.  Then we went to Chase to get her jointly signed up onto my bank account.  The guy there was really nice and helpful.

After errands we had left overs for dinner.  I had to go shortly after dinner for a presentation.  Ball State's actuarial club brings in some companies from around the midwest to give presentations and to do on-campus interviews.  These positions are usually pretty competitive, but I'm hoping that my resume and interviewing skills are good enough.  The presentation was good.  It was more geared towards some of the younger students who are less familiar with the field, but I still learned a lot about their company.  Two of the three presenters are Ball State alumni.  Afterwards I talked with some people in my program about jobs and things.

Then I came home!  And now it is bed time.  Tomorrow will be a long day.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment