6.17.2012

Day 390

Part one of the day was good.  Part one consisted of going to Muncie with friend Kelly.  I had a load of things (mostly chairs) to take that didn't take up a lot of room, but wouldn't fit with the rest of the furniture.  So we made a day trip down to Muncie.  While we were down there we had lunch with Jessie and Richard and some of Jessie's friends from work.  It was fun.  After doing so much driving on my own this summer it was really nice to be able to actually talk with someone during the drive.


When I got home dad was taking a nap.  He'd been reffing at a soccer tournament all day and he was pretty tired.  And it was really hot out.  I'd looked for my Windows install discs while I was in Muncie, but couldn't find them.  So I looked some more when I got back and eventually found them.


Yeah.  Something is wrong on my computer... because I can't reinstall Windows.  It gives me an error message part way through the install.  So I tried that about three different times.  Kimmy's dad made me a boot utility disc, so I gave that a shot.  But there are many many different utilities to use and it's going to take a bit to figure out which one I need.  It's not a bad thing at all, as there is a fix for most occasions.  I'll just need to spend some time tomorrow looking for the right thing to run.  But I'm afraid I just might need to get a new hard drive.  It's the thing most likely to have failed, since everything else is newer.  As a last possible resort, there is a utility that complete wipes (nukes) the hard drive.  So I might try that and then reinstall Windows.  It's just so much work and I'm sick of doing it.  I spent about 4 hours today working on it.


Anyhow, I went to hang out with Miles.  It was fun.  He was cleaning his rifles when I got there because he'd just gotten back from the shooting range with one of his old apartment mates.  So he was just telling me a bit about his guns.  Then we watched Scott Pilgrim, which we both really like.  After the movie was over we talked about guns a little bit more.  I used to really want to get a gun, but recently I'm not too sure.  I don't know that I could ever use one against a living being, whether it was an animal or a human.  They're fun to shoot, but it's just another hobby. I'd rather shoot a bow and arrow, honestly.  And as far as home safety.... it's a bad idea to keep a loaded gun, but what is the likelihood that you'll have the time and presence of mind to get the gun AND ammo AND load it?  My thinking is that if you use something like a baseball bat for home defense, the worst accident that could happen is you hit someone and break a bone.  Yes, you can kill someone but I doubt you'd go for a lethal strike unless you were in an extreme circumstance.  But guns... are different.  Accidents tend to be much more lethal.  Anyhow, Miles and I talked about that for a while and we had a really good discussion.  We're mostly in agreement, but it was still good to talk about it.


Then we watched a short animation film called "Wolverine versus The Hulk."  It wasn't too bad.


Now it's bed time.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment