6.14.2012

Day 388

There is one specific day that really stands out from last year.  I was studying life contingencies with Tim and we'd spent about 3 hours memorizing, manipulating, and re-deriving formulae.  We'd taken everything we'd been taught and combined everything together in a glorious mix of intuition and rigor.  When we sat back and examined our handiwork... my brain was exhausted.  Not unlike blowing your lip out whilst playing a wind instrument or running to the point of collapse.  Imagine that you balance a zip-lock bag, standing straight up. Then you begin to fill it with water.  It will remain upright for a while... but eventually the water will over power the bag and it will collapse.  This is how my brain felt after that day.... no more information could be retained and it felt as thought my brain was just oozing out.  I'd worked all of the muscles keeping my brain inside my head, and everything was about to fall out.


This is how I feel after I get off of work.  Except with the additional bonus of having a difficult time visually focusing on things because I've been staring at a screen for 8 hours.  It will get better with time, but I just feel so drained after work.  And I don't really recover on the way back because I have to focus on driving.  I think this is the source of added stress: I can't fully relax until an hour or so after work, so I don't start to come down until around 6.


Anyhow.  All of that aside, it was a good day at work.  I did some work with Lee and actually got to do some things!  I was getting pretty tired by the end of the day, but it was good.  Over lunch I sat with Lee.  We discussed (among many other things) how expensive it must be to eat out every lunch.  We noticed how many people there eat out every day and deduced that they're easily spending $30 - $40 a week on lunch.  As Lee and I discussed... At school I spent $30 - $35 a week in groceries, which is about as cheap as it gets (unless all you eat is rice and lentils).  And $10 a week of my budget was just produce.  We just couldn't fathom eating out every day for lunch.  But I know they have their reasons, which is fine.  When I mentioned this to dad when I got home and we were making our lunches, he confirmed that this is very common at Marathon as well.  With some rough calculations, we concluded that our lunches (sandwich, celery or chips, yogurt, fruit) probably cost about $1.50.  Oh money.  So silly.


After work I came home and had dinner with mom.  We had a pretty good talk about all sorts of things. It started out as my interest in generationalism and whether generalizations (though always wrong*) about a certain age group are due to the age of the members or the era in which they grew up.  So we talked about that sort of things for a while, which morphed into the current issues going on in the past hundred years and the things that each era has had to manage.  It was a good talk!


*I understand that this parenthetical statement was a generalization.  Deal :)


Yeah, so...umm... that's about it.  I suppose that means it's bed time.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment