6.10.2012

Day 384

For the most part, today can be put into two different categories: Lunch Trip and Computer Adventures.


Act 1: Lunch Trip
The premise of this story is that one of my friends from Mount Vernon, a certain Lindsey who was a fellow meth major and was part of my study group, was in the area.  To further clarify, "the area" means "the western part of the state of Ohio."  This is significant because she hails from West Virginia.  So it's rare that we get to hang out anymore.  I figured that since she would be "in the area," I'd see if she had time for a meal.  I left around 9:30 to meet her at some Mexican restaurant I'd found on Google maps and got there pretty much right at 11:30.  


I made a new friend along the way.  I stopped at a gas station for some sort of caffeinated stimulus.  As I was checking out, the cashier looked at me and said "go get another one.  You can pay $2.32 for one or $3.12 for two" (there was a sale).  Always a sucker for good marketing/getting convinced of what I actually want, I picked up another can.  As the person before me was checking out, the cashier made a comment about how people were always "yay Friday" and all that.  Our hero, the cashier, would just tell her customers "Yeah, maybe for you.  But I work here 7 days a week, then go to my real job."  She didn't seem bitter about it, but just tired.  So I inquired as to the state of her employment.  Apparently she is the mother of three and is trying to put them through college.  Two are in college, the third is starting next year.  So she works full time as a sales manager, specifically with funeral home accounts.  She said she enjoys it all, but is quite ready for her kids to graduate from college when she gets to have money again.  I don't know her family's situation, but I can tell she's working very hard for her kids.  And really, what more could you ask of a parent?


Our story continues with lunch.  It was your standard "authentic Mexican" restaurant.  They're all different and they're all the same.  But it was still good. I had a really good time.  We talked about school and about work and just life in general.  Lindsey has asked me before about my transition into grad school and such (she's starting grad school in the fall), so we talked some about that. We agreed that when people ask if we're excited about grad school or (for me) if I'm enjoying it, all we can do is give the same answer as everyone who has gone to grad school: no... but we're excited to get a job someday.  Great things come from grad school (hopefully job opportunities, close friends, "living on your own" skills you might not have had, hopefully job opportunities), but really I have to talk to anyone who just loves grad school.  I really enjoyed my undergrad degree, but part of that was because I wasn't mature enough to take the career process seriously.  Some people are, but I was not.  But now I am (or at least I'm really really close) and I'm quite ready to be done with school.  I do not envy people who are getting their PhD.  Except that I like research and writing way more than I like taking exams (though defending your dissertation sounds pretty painful).  Anyhow, I had a really good time.  And I got a free* lunch!


*Free meaning that Lindsey paid for my lunch.  Basically because I drove 4 hours just for lunch.  So I guess I paid 4 hours worth of driving and gas?


Act 2: Computer Adventures
When I got home I got on my computer as normal.  But it was being astoundingly slow.  And certain applications were not opening.  So I did a good old virus check... which yielded nothing.  I then proceeded to spend the next 4 hours trying to fix the problem.  I tried everything** from a full malware scan in safe mode to dusting out my computer.  I even tried to restore my computer to a previous date, but that didn't work either.  Frustrated beyond belief, I noticed that most of the problems began when I tried to start Steam.  At least, things got worse.  So I uninstalled Steam... and now my computer is running fantastically!  Tomorrow I'll try re-installing Steam and hoping for the best.  Yarg.  But I quite literally spent from about 2pm until 6pm trying to fix this infernal box of nonsense, and it's still not even completely fixed.  I was going to reinstall Windows, but naturally I left my install disk back in Muncie.  Good job, Joel.


Hopefully things keep working out.


Act 3: Prologue
After the rest of my day, mom and dad returned from their excursion to Fort Wayne for lunch with Grandpa and Pat.  When they got back I talked with them for a while about some different things.


It's getting late, so I'm going to bed now.  This is a pretty anti-climactic ending to my story, but true stories usually end that way.  Mainly because real stories never end.  Anyhow, good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment