7.17.2011

Day 56

Today was really good.  Not as productive as I had planned, but really good.  When I got up mom made me eggs for breakfast.  They were so tasty.  A little garlic salt, a little green onion... oh my.  So amazing.  And I had a bagel.  If there is any breakfast food I love more than the simply satisfying bagel, it's eggs.  Scrambled, as an omelette, over easy, eggs in a basket (personal favorite)... doesn't matter.  Every way is spectacular.  After breakfast mom and I went to go visit the grandfolks for a bit before mom went to work.  That was fun.  They're getting all settled into their new apartment.  It's been quite an adventure, for certain!


When I got home I got some lunch.  I think I just had a sandwich.  For some reason I thought it was something different... but maybe not.  I can't think of it now. Hmm. Anyhow, I spent the majority of my afternoon playing video games.  I was going to do my last bit of homework... but didn't feel like it.  So tomorrow!  


It's always very interesting when a video game comes near the end.  It just feels like it's about to be over.  The basic mechanics of the game become thoughtless reactions, the enemies become harder to compensate for your increased skill and character abilities.  The levels look familiar as you have played them or similar areas before.  The plot begins to come together and any twists have already happened.  It feels like there is little that remains undone.  I wonder if that's what life feels like near the end: you get a feeling that there are not many things left undone.  I don't imagine that every person feels accomplishment.  In fact, Erik Erikson compared the two feelings of accomplishment and despair.  But I wonder if I will feel ready to meat my Maker when I no longer feel that there is much left undone.  In many ways video games imitate life, but in others games purposely create fiction that is more appealing than reality.  When I'm playing a game, I don't want to think about how unrealistic it is that a magical "health pack" can fix all my wounds, or that I can carry 10 of these health packs, 5 weapons, a full set of armor, and $200,000 worth of coins.  If I was affected by these individual things in the game, it would be annoying and not fun.  But I do like that people get angry when I run into them or react when I run on roof tops.  So there is a certain amount of reality that is present to immerse people into a game... but there is a measured amount of exaggerating reality to make it more entertaining.  But not so much that it feels fake.  Just enough that it's more appealing than reality.  The social commentary present in video games has always astounded me.


There comes a time in every person's life where he or she gets hungry.  So I took it upon myself to satisfy this need for dinner.  Behold: my creation!


It was so good.  I put the pork in a skillet and covered it with barbecue sauce, set the fire on low-medium, and turned it every few minutes.  Overall, probably about 20 minutes.  Then I made mashed potatoes (instant... cuz I was lazy) with garlic salt, lemon pepper seasoning, and green onion.  It was so good.  Oh my word.  The pork was so tender and saturated with barbecue sauce.  And it only took about 20 minutes to make.  So very worth it.


After dinner I went to go hang out with Shawn.  That was fun.  I hadn't seen him in quite some time.  We had a good time.  We just talked about... everything.  It was much needed and all sorts of fun.


And now it's bed time. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment