5.28.2012

Day 370

I only have 30 minutes until my laptop battery dies, so we'll see what I can fit in here.


Yesterday morning I went to church with Jessie and Richard.  Pastor Craig talked about John the Baptist and King Herod, focusing on King Herod's morality and John's execution.  It was good.


After church we came back and got ready to go over to the grandparents' place. I had a good time.  We had a little cookout on their George Foreman grill.  The food was pretty fantastic.  After lunch some of us played a game of canasta.  It was pretty intense, but eventually the good guys won!  And by that I mean I won.  Oh, and poppy thinks that I should keep wearing my argyle socks.  Meaning that dad is fully of silliness for not liking them.


Then Kimmy and I came back home.  Jessie and Richard had to go back to Muncie, Mom and Dad went to go watch the Avengers.  After we got ready, Kimmy and I went to Steak and Shake for dinner.  We both really like it.  As per custom, we had some good conversation.  The other day we had been talking about art and she said that to truly appreciate some types of art, you need an advanced degree in it (not her exact words, but the general idea).  I was kind of confused.  But yesterday it finally hit me: that's how every field of study is.  There is only so much that you can appreciate and understand without having an advanced degree in that area.  The big difference that I see with art is that in my experience, artists are more likely to hold this over you than other disciplines.  I've not once seen a history major try to convince you that you just don't understand something.  They'll just go about explaining it to you.  And if you are still adamant that you are correct... first off you're being silly.  And second, I'd bet that most historians would gladly take the time to explain their entire train of thought.  I have to keep relating this whole are thing to math so that I don't perceive artists as arrogant or stupid. Because in math... we are constantly accused (by non-mathematicians) that we're making things up.  Artists are accused of that as well.  So if I keep relating art to math, it helps me keep things in perspective.


After dinner we went to go see the Avengers.  We actually got there early.  I haven't done that for quite some time (unless it was a midnight showing of a movie).  Kimmy hadn't seen it, but now she has!  And she liked it.


Ok, my battery is about dead.  So I guess this is it!  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment