5.22.2012

Day 365

Today was sort of rough.


The drive is starting to get to me... it's not as long as it could be, but it's still hard.  And expensive.  I'm trying my best to just be grateful for having a job and an internship, but it's just difficult to have 12 hours of my day devoted to work.  I get up around 5:30 am and get home around 5:30 pm.  It's just getting old.


I was able to do some work today.  That was exciting.  I worked with Lee in the morning, running a few different reports.  He showed me where they get a lot of the data and why changes get made.  Basically we're always making changes because we're always getting new data.  Maybe we got in some information about the amount of money that was spent last year reimbursing people for car wrecks in a certain county and age group.  So depending on some other numbers (and what the executives want us to do) we have to make changes.


After lunch I went for a walk.  I really wanted to get some fresh air and enjoy the sun for a bit.  It was warm in the building and even warmer outside, but that was ok.  I might start doing that more regularly on days when I eat by myself.


I worked with Tina for a while after lunch.  We did some updating of files... actual paper files, not just computer files!  It was crazy!  She said that this is the sort of thing that hopefully I can start doing on my own.  She understands that it's hard to always just watch people work.  I really just want to do something useful.  I think that once I can actually do more work on my own I'm going to really like this.  Even the things that they've described as "gruesome" or "tedious" I haven't minded at all.  It's been difficult because there is such a focus on accuracy... which I honestly am not used to.  I'm used to doing something and then passing around files with 5 other people to see if we got the same answers and used similar methods.  But at work things have to be correct.  The end.  But I'm getting better.


I decided to try getting a cup of coffee at work to (hopefully) make the afternoons easier.  It worked.  I got a cup during the afternoon break and I'll probably start doing that on days when I begin to drag.  It's much cheaper than buying energy drinks on the way home ($.50 for coffee versus $2.30 for an energy drink).


Mom was very gracious and listened to me vent when I got home.  I was ok while I was actually at work, but driving home everything just started to pile up.  Thankfully mom was there to pick up the pieces of Joel.  Dad grilled hot dogs for dinner and mom made beans and other tasty goodies (like coleslaw and cut up vegetables).


After we helped clean up dinner Kimmy and I went to drop her car off at the car fixing place.  We knew that they were closed but thought that there might be a place to drop off the keys.  There was not.  So we left her car and mom is going to drop the keys off tomorrow.


When we got back we did some wedding planning.  Mostly discussing music and timing of things.  Then... it was time to make lunches.  So we did.


And now I am quite tired, so I shall be going to bed.  Good night, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment