5.23.2012

Day 366

Well.  I have officially been keeping my blog for one year.


A lot has happened.  I graduated from Mount Vernon, went on a fantastic trip to Yellowstone, helped my grandparents move into their new place, started grad school at Ball State, met some fantastic people there, got engaged, passed two actuarial exams, finished my first year of grad school... and so many more things.  It's remarkable.


I would love to take some time to just reflect on everything that I've done and gone through... but honestly I have to wake up in 7 hours and need to get some sleep.  So instead, I will briefly talk about one thing that I've learned from this: journal-ing is fantastic.  It really is.  It doesn't matter if people read it or not.  Journal-ing is awesome because it does two things (for me at least): it gives you closure and a sense of completion at the end of the day (each day thereby feels significant), and it also gives you a time to reflect and vent a little bit (thereby giving you a chance to not carry that burden to the next day).  There are plenty of ideas that I don't write about here... it would be a poor choice.  But being able to write about 90% of the things that go on in my day is helpful.  Even if you aren't a writer, it's good to at least take some time each day to remember what happened.  It's a horrible feeling when I get to the end of a day and don't remember anything from it.... like it didn't even make a difference.  That only rarely happens now, which is wonderful.


Anyhow, on with my day.  Today was actually pretty awesome.  I thought it was going to be bad because I stuck my thumb in my oatmeal this morning, but it turned around pretty quickly.  God's cool like that.  On my way to work I started listening to a CD that mom and dad are letting me borrow.  It's by a motivational speaker "Zig Ziglar."  His main focus is on how every thing that happens to us (basically) is a decision that we make.  We might not actively create all of our situations, but it's our choice how we react.  He's very good.


When I got to work I was pretty excited because I got to actually do things!  When I first got there I did some more error checking with Vivian.  Then I went to a meeting with Lee with some executive.  We talked about some of the things that Lee and I have been working on.  It was good to see how all of this work will be used, instead of just seeing it all as arbitrary data.


After lunch Vivian and I worked on re-writing some notes and finalizing a few reports.  She would like my input on the notes because they want to make sure that steps are clear and not getting missed... which is hard to do well if you've been running the same report every month for 20 years.  So I'm doing my best to make comments and (when necessary) improve the notes.  So it was a good day.  I had fun.
Also: I have awesome socks.


When I got home I talked with mom for a bit about my day.  Then Kimmy and I had dinner.  After dinner went to the store to get things to make cookies!  But I always forget that the cookies we made have to chill in the refrigerator... so we'll make them tomorrow.


Mom and Kimmy and I picked some lettuce from the garden.  And then we made lunch!  Now I'm going to bed.  Good night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment