5.10.2012

Day 353

I started today like every other, with some showering and breakfast.  I was going to shave, but then forgot.  I had strawberries in my oatmeal.  It was exceptionally tasty (probably about a 7).  It just tasted really good today.  I left just after 6:30 today.  Nothing super exciting happened on my way to work that I recall.  My body is starting to get used to waking up at 5:30... and it is doing so much quicker than I had anticipated.  Thankfully.


This morning I decided to go over some equations instead of working problems. I know all the usual equations, but there are a few that get used on a very rare occasion that I wanted to look over.  This is purely for my own benefit because I'll remember to do it if I write it down: I need to review the convolution method tomorrow.


I started the morning by working with Lee.  We began with some maps and comparing how Central and their data aggregate company define insured regions.  So we made notes of the different ways that the two entities made territories.  We also spent some time discussing whether "coverages" is a word.  As in, "we need to change 5 of the 12 coverages."  We basically did a proof by analogy (not a valid proof technique, by the way) to determine that it is a word.  Since "umbrella" has a plural and a coverage is essentially a metaphorical umbrella, then coverage must have a plural (because umbrella has a plural).  Yeah... that was a good 5 minutes.  We also talked about our math backgrounds.  Lee has a masters in applied math from Purdue.  We took some of the same classes during our bachelor's, so we compared our favorites and such.


Right before lunch I worked with Vivian for a little bit and finished updating some files we'd been working on yesterday.  Mainly that was to show me how to finish the process we'd started a couple days ago.


I had a quick lunch, then did some more studying. Someone came up to my and welcomed me to the company.  She didn't actually introduce herself, just said that she's seen my picture and some sort of "we have a new intern!" message on the company bulletin board, so she came over to say hi and talk for a couple minutes.  That was nice.  I've come to the conclusion that they last two exams in my study book are just dumb.  They just ask questions that will literally never be asked on the exam.  Or they use notation and don't explain what it is.  For instance, the average is generally referred with either the Greek letter mu (μ) or E[X].  The probability of an something is sometimes referred to as p.  But in this example (without warning), I was informed that m = 4, q = .5.  Now, often p + q = 1, so this wasn't an issue.  But I had no idea what m was.  Not once prior was m referred to as the mean.  Bleh.  That would never happen on an exam.  Oh well.  I'll just do my best!


After studying I went back to work with Lee.  He and I just worked on some things the rest of the day.  I enjoyed it after I actually got to do some of the work.  Unfortunately there is just a lot that they have to show me first.  They can't just sit me down and have me "do stuff" since I really don't know what to do.  It's just really hard to listen to people talk for 6 hours a day when you don't really have any idea what they're saying.  I need to actually do work myself before it will make any sense.  Soon enough...




I had to get gas on the way home today.  I did some quick math and realized that it costs me $7 to drive one way to work. Ugh.  But I get to add that ever-so important line onto my resume.  And I'm not losing money this summer.  I would be losing about $800 for rent at my Muncie apartment if I wasn't working.  So this is much better.


I had dinner with mom, then studied.  I did some problems, went over some formulae, did some more problems.  Yeah.  Just one more day of studying...


It's bed time.  I'm pretty tired.  Good night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment