5.13.2012

Day 355

I tell you what.  Yesterday was quite the day.


To ensure that I got enough sleep, I did not wake up to an alarm.  I had one set for 8:30, just in case I somehow didn't wake up before then, but I knew I would.  So 7:30 rolled around and I was awake.  I slept in!


Mom made pancakes for breakfast, so I had pancakes and eggs.  Then I talked with mom for a bit and helped her with dishes.  After I showered I did a little studying.


I left for Maumee around 10.  Hour long drives are starting to seem like they take much less time.  Which is good, I suppose... since I have many such trips ahead of me.  I got there right around 11, found the testing facility, then went to find someplace to study some more.  There was a Jimmy John's down the road, so I went there, got a sandwich, and studied for about an hour and a half.  At that point I just wanted to be done with it. So I went to the testing center to see if I could start early. I could.  So off I went.


Some of those questions were pretty tricky.  The passing mark was a 62%, so I needed to get 19 correct to pass.  After the first hour and a half I had ten left... and didn't know how to do them.  I was able to put somewhat reasonable guesses for three of them... but I completely guessed on the last seven.  But either I guessed really well or I got the other ones all right because I passed!  It took a while for that to sink in... at first I just felt dirty because I didn't feel like I deserved to pass, guessing on so many questions and all.  But oh well!  I passed and now I can move on. No more studying this summer!


When I got home I talked with mom and dad about it for a little bit.  Then we picked up the grandparents for dinner and went to Red Lobster.  It was pretty full because I guess yesterday was prom or some nonsense.  And today is Mother's day.  While we waited mama and I talked about math.  She was saying how one questions that her dad always had was why 2 + 2 = 4, and how no one was able to give him a good explanation for that.  So I said that math only works if we accepts a certain number of postulates.  By definition, a postulate cannot be proved or disproved.  We simply must accept it as truth.  The most fundamental is a postulate from logic: p cannot equal -p.  5 cannot equal negative 5.  From that statement, all other laws of logic can (and have been) derived.  But that fundamental statement cannot be proved. It seems so elementary, but there exists no proof for it.  In fact, it has been proved that a postulate cannot be proved.  Mama also wanted to know why we call the first number 1, then next 2, and so forth.  I said that's more of a question concerning linguistics than math.  But I, too, always wonder why we gave things certain names.


Dinner was fantastic.  I had some flounder, shrimp scampi, and mashed potatoes.  Oh it was good.  Service and everything was slow, but they were very busy.


After dinner we went to the grandparents' for the while.  They had some electronics issues that dad and I needed to fix.  So we did that.


Then I went to go hang out with friend Miles.  We had fun.  We lit some tiki torches, made some fire, and made an amazing pancakes!






It was one pancake (about 14 inches in diameter) with chocolate chips, crunchy peanut butter, maple syrup, and chocolate syrup.  Words cannot describe how amazing it was.  But yeah. We had lots of fun.  And then I came home and fell right to sleep.  The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment