5.11.2012

Day 354

My brain just started to shut off for the night, so I'm not sure how this post will go...


I learned this morning that you can't make eggs without first starting the stove.  Apparently my brain didn't feel like starting the fire for the gas stove... just turning the gas on.  I was confused why after 5 minutes my eggs were still completely uncooked...  Mornings are hard.


The drive was the same as always.  South on 75, exit right, turn left, turn right, veer right, turn left, turn left.  That's it.  Maybe I'll count traffic lights next time.


Today was casual day, so most people wore jeans or shorts and t-shirts.  I got there early and studied for a little bit.  When I started working I began by trying to finish up what Lee and I had been working on yesterday.  He had a meeting at 8, so I tried to finish it up by myself.  Yeah... that didn't go so well.  We ended up having to redo it all later.  He made sure that I knew that it wasn't a big deal, so that's good.  In the department, there is a big push for accuracy over speed.  They would rather something took longer and was 100% correct.  I just need to get used to that, instead of doing something once and comparing it with another student's answers (who did the exact same thing).  


I had a short lunch again, then got a little studying in.  I know that all the material is in my head, but I want to refresh on everything before my test.  Unfortunately, there is just so much that I can't go through everything... so then I don't really know what to go over.  Yarg.


After lunch I worked with Lee some more, still working on running through test results and changing numbers in Excel.  He told me a bit about his program at Purdue and said that they were often required to go observe people defend their dissertations or theses.  He described how grueling of a process it was.  For 4 or 5 hours the peer reviewers would ask question on every tiny detail of your dissertation or thesis.  Scouring over every foot note, citation, test result, data point...everything.  I can't even imagine what that would be like. Not fun, that's for sure.


I left work at 2:30 so I could get some more study time in.  So I came home, talked with mom for a bit, then started studying.  I decided to just go through the end of chapter sections and do the "SOA" questions (ones that were published for use from the Society of Actuaries), since they're closer to the ones on the actual exam.  Mom made pizza for dinner... so we ate around 5.  Then I studied some more.  Dad went up to Toledo for a soccer game, mom had a dessert at Primrose.  I studied some more.  I took a break around 7:45 for about 30 minutes, then went back to studying.  And now I'm done.  So I'll get up in the morning, get some food, look over some things, and head up to Maumee for the exam.  So... we'll see how it goes!


But I'm going to bed now.  I shall let you all know how it goes on the morrow.  Good night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment