5.24.2012

Day 367

I think I might just skip how my mornings start... I'm getting kind of bored writing about them and they don't really change.  So I made it through my morning!


I listened to the Zig Ziglar CDs some more.  It's certainly a better use of my time than listening to music.  There will still be some music days, but I'm enjoying the talks.


Today at work I did some more reports with Vivian.  It was fun.  It never occurred to me just how much paper there is... but even in a small-ish company like Central must have literally millions of reams of paper on the premises.  And that's after they've done a lot of things to reduce the amount of paper they use.  Bigger companies (like Microsoft) must have billions or reams of paper fluttering around!  Most of the things kept on paper record are mandated by the Department of Insurance, so there's nothing that can be done about that.  But as one who has grown up using computers, I always think about how things could be done completely electronically.  And as much as I wish it could be done... the world isn't there yet.  Someday we'll be there, but not yet.  Tablet computers are bridging the gap between computers and paper... but it's not quite there.  External touch screen displays are getting there... but that's not quite it yet.  It certainly is very nice to have breaks where you can get up and walk around.  Having everything electronic would definition decrease the time used for walking around.  I guess I just never realized how much paper gets used on a daily basis... it just never clicked.  We always joked about it in the education department, as we would each get about a ream of paper each semester from some classes.  But things add (or actually, multiply) up very quickly.  But on the other hand, additional computer usage increases energy consumption.  So there's always a trade-off.


During lunch I made a list of things I needed to do when I got home.  I also made use of my scheduled-text feature on my phone, as I'd never used it before.  I wanted to set it to text a couple people when I got home so that I didn't forget to do it and so that I could actually respond (since I would be at home, not at work or driving).  But I need to start making more lists and taking notes over lunch.  Usually be the time I get home my brain is very tired and I can't always recall the things I've been thinking about over the course of the day.


After lunch I worked with Vivian some more, doing some note editing and updated of checklists.  It's nice to use checklists so that you always know what to do next.


When I got back we had dinner.  Mom made meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  Good, as always.  After dinner Kimmy and I helped clean up, then baked cookies that we'd made yesterday.  Then we did some wedding planning things.  We did a little research into our honeymoon plans... and it looks like we won't be able to take the train.  It's about an extra $200-$250 if we take the train, and we both feel like that money could be better used elsewhere.  We'll have a lot of expenses coming our way when we first start off, so we want to make sure we have the money.


Of course I ended my night with some good old lunch-making.  Then I talked with mom for a little bit.  She's scanning some old pictures into the computer, so we talked about that, as well as sharing some stories from when I was a kid.  I'll have to write about some of those sometime.

But for now I'm going to bed.  Good night, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment