4.18.2012

Day 330

Someday I'm not going to stay up late.


Ha.


Anyhow, today was pretty decent.  Except for the part where my alarm didn't go off and I woke up at 7:30 instead of 6:30.  And I had to be at work at 8.  So my brain went into priority mode and it created the following list of tasks: pants, breakfast, coffee, backpack, gym bag.  My brain isn't in top shape first thing in the morning, but I must say... it's not bad.  Somehow I was able to realize that I could make eggs and leave them on the skillet while I did other things.  I picked eggs because I had one tortilla shell left, so that would serve as a mobile plate.  So I was able to actually get out the door by about 7:50.  I ended up only being a few minutes late to work... but I would like to not do that again.


I worked on probability while I was in the computer lab before life con.  Nothing too exciting.  There's usually about one or two questions per practice exam that I just have no idea how to do.  Which is frustrating... but... oh well.


During life con we talked about generating random numbers.  This is useful when running simulations of things and you want to simulate a random event.  I doubt we'll actually need to know this for anything... but now we kind of know.


I went to go work out after class.  I haven't gone in quite some time, so it was very exciting.  Today was legs.  Walking was... difficult.  When I got back to the computer lab I studied for a little bit.


I hadn't been in their for too long when another guy in the lab came up to me and asked if I was a grad student and what my area of study is.  So I told him and he said that he is almost finished taking pre-requisite courses to enter the program.  So I asked what his story was (because there is always a story about how someone becomes an actuary).  The tl;dr version of it is that he graduated from Ball State in 2008 as a philosophy major... spent a couple years job hopping and soul searching...wanted an area where he an explore and so forth.  I'm sure he thought he was explaining his reasoning quite eloquently.  I learned a lot about him and I enjoyed that, but I'm still quite uncertain as to why he is in the program.  He passed the probability exam back in January and plans to take FM in February. He and his wife are expecting a kid in September.  I think those were the highlights.  He kept referring to how employers just want to see you perform one task and just keep doing it instead of trying to find out what is real.  By the end I had come to the conclusion that any one of the following was true (with no real knowledge of which one is the most likely): 1- his story is completely valid, 2- he is very good at thinking on the fly, knows a little bit about the actuarial science program, and was able to feed back information I had given him in the form of his own story, 3- he was really high.  Anyhow, I showed him my office (he's a GA next year and wanted to see what the offices are like), then we parted ways.


When I got home I had a snack, showered, then started doing some more studying.  But I just couldn't get my mind into it today.  I think my morning just really through me off.  Yarg.  So I did my best, but didn't get very far.  As to not completely waste my day, I started to write down formulae that I've having a difficult time memorizing.  That was helpful.


I made Shepard's Pie for dinner.  I'll write up the recipe tomorrow, but it turned out really well.  Thanks Amber!




After dinner I had some ice cream... tired to study some more... did some dishes.  Surprisingly I still hate dishes.  Then I played some TF2 with Miles.  Now I'm going to bed.


Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment