4.13.2012

Day 325

So yesterday was a pretty eventful day.


It started off pretty regularly... I got up, showered, had breakfast, and then went to work.  I spent most of the time just studying for probability.  At this point I've begun working through the practice exams that are included with the manual.  They give a good mix of questions and are supposed to be very similar to the questions on the actual exam.


During life con we talked about some of the problems that arise from making some of the assumptions that we have made.  There is a very large problem in this field of data being collected solely at the end of the year, but needing to interpolate for events that occur in the middle of the year.  For example, a person's monthly insurance premium is partially based upon the probability that they survive to a certain time period.  Since people pay monthly (usually) this probability has to be figured out for each individual month.  However, mortality data is only collected at the end of the year.  So there are two main different ways that we estimate these probabilities in between integer ages... but they are only approximations.  So we talked about how they two ways we generally use are applied to this new material and some of the problems that we will encounter.


After class I went back to the computer lab, did some more studying, got lunch, then did more studying.  By the end of it my brain was pretty well done for a while.


When I got back to my apartment I got a snack and did some cleaning.  Friends were coming over later, so I wanted to make sure that my apartment was at least somewhat presentable.  Yesterday was Erica's birthday and Tuesday is Jacob's, so we had a joined party yesterday.  So I made lasagna.  I had to go to the store because I ran out of sauce.. but it turned out just fine.  So yeah, I made that and some rolls (even though they were technically biscuits).  


Kathryn came over a little early to do some laundry, then every one else came a little after 6:30.  So we ate.  Everyone said it was good, and I tended to agree with them.  Paul was completely shocked that I could make lasagna.  I explained that I cook nearly all of my food, that it's cheaper and I really enjoy cooking.  Tim and Erin brought their newborn son over.  He was remarkably quiet.  He cried a little bit, but not much and he wasn't loud at all.  We could carry on a conversation at normal volume while he was crying.  It was weird, but awesome for them.  I'm not quite sure how it started, but we started discussing people's idiosyncrasies. And by "discussing" I really mean that Jordan and I explained all the little things we notice about people and everyone sat in awe that we pick up on these things.  Like the fact that Dustin yawns loudly and frequently... but he was not aware of this.  Or that his yawns are all similarly timed and end with a little gurgle at the end.  Again, he was not aware of this.  But he is now!  I also explained to Tim that I can tell how awake he is by how he drinks his coffee.  He had the most astounded look on his face as he asked me to explain.  So I said that first thing in the morning, each sip is very slurp-y and is followed by a very deep exhale.  But as the coffee begins to set in his sips become more of actual drinks and less exhaling.  I also shared that I can only hold my pen in very specific ways.  For example, the writing on my pen can't be touching my skin. And I can't have the pen cap on when I write because of how irritating it is to me when it touches my hand.


Anyhow.  After everyone sufficiently realized that I'm kind of messed up we had dessert.  Jordan brought a cake from Concannon's. It was really good.  Tim and Dustin don't really like cake, so I gave them some of the apple pie that I made the other day.


Yeah.  So we just hung out for a while, talking and such.  It was fun.  The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment