3.27.2012

Day 308

I am exhausted.


Today was reasonably eventful.  I had breakfast and class and things.  Yeah.


In between classes we had a decent discussion about technology.  I think it started when I asked Paul what sort of phone he was going to get when the contract on his Blackberry (or as they are more affectionately known, "Crackberries").  So we discussed differences between iPhones and Android phones, how we use phones, GPS versus maps... then on to the differences between Facebook and Twitter and how we use (or don't use) them.  It was interesting.  It appears that some people do, in fact, use Mapquest.  I always thought that was just a saying and that everyone actually used Google Maps.  Learned something new today.  


I also finally ponied up and bought a mug from the Atrium.  I didn't want to, but I get refills for $.70 instead of buying a cup of coffee for $1.65.  And the mug was only $6 (including the first cup of coffee).  The first mug I got had a leak in it, so I had to get a new one.  But that didn't seem to be an issue.


During Life Contingencies we discussed some actual formulae for some of the concepts we've been dealing with and just went over why they work intuitively.  I like classes like this where we we've gotten to a point that we can imagine a scenario where we need a formula... and we just make it.  We don't derive everything from scratch, starting with the normal garbage of mathematical nonsense using phrases like "Let x be a member of the set of positive integers such that for all x in Z+ we can say..."  Nope, none of that (though I've done my fair share of them in my time as a maths student).  We just look at something like "we want our person to get paid when he moves from state 1 to state 3 and stays there."  So we just set it up and do it!


After class I worked out with Dustin.  It took us longer than usual, but we were both just being pokey today. We got through it eventually.


When I got home I had lunch and read some probability.  It was so much fun.  Then I went to the store to get some shampoo since I was out.  But no more!


When I got back I made some coffee and relaxed for a little bit.  Then I started making dinner.


I tried something new (recipe coming tomorrow).  A long time ago I went to a restaurant with Amber and Jesse out in Phoenix that served baked potatoes covered with barbecue pulled pork.  So I thought I'd try to make that.  It went really well.  I didn't have pork, so I used chicken and just used a fork to shred the meat.  It worked decently.  Then I just threw it in a skillet with barbecue sauce while the potatoes were in the oven.  Kathryn came over for dinner and to study afterwards.  So studying was all sorts of fun... as fun as studying probability can be, I suppose (which really isn't that fun at all).  When she went home I played some TF2 with Miles.  And now I'm going to bed!  Night!


As  random thought, I think I need to start using new tags, but I'm not sure what sort of things I should tag.  I don't really ever use the tags I have.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment