3.14.2012

Day 295

So today was pretty good, for the most part.  After I woke up I went to the computer lab and graded for a while.  I think I'm finally getting this grading thing down... for the most part.  I'm still not really a fan of when students leave the ripped portion of their lined paper attached.  And apparently none of them know what a stapler is.  Kind of annoying, but I'll deal with it.


Today during life con we talked about a... new way of looking at the same concepts.  It uses lots of diagrams and basically considers the probabilities of people going into different "states," such as going from being alive to dead, working to retired to dead, and so on.  All of the models involves some "healthy/alive" state and a "death/failure" state.  As we were discussing it, Dr. Foley mentioned that it is often the case that you can go back to a previous state, such as working, retiring, then working again.  Then he pulled out a classic Dr. Foley line: "once you're dead, you stay there.  Unless you're Jesus Christ, then I guess he's kind of an exception.  But we're not going to worry about him at the moment."  It was really funny.


After class I got went to my office and did some grading.  I share an office with Saha and he, too, was grading.  He was a bit frustrated though.  Apparently the class for which he is grading does not have a solution manual.  And he's never taken this class or learned some of the material.  So he has to first learn the material, then see if he can answer the problems.  Way more work than he should have to do, especially because I think it's for an actuarial class, not a stats class (his area of study).  So when I was in there he had a question about life tables.  I did my best to help, but the notation was quite different and some of the concepts were just not the same.  Oh well.


Then I went outside to call mom and eat lunch.  I told mom more about my interview on Friday and such.  She told me about visiting Amber and helping out at Primrose this week.  After we hung up I ate my lunch, then went back to the computer lab.  I just about finished grading while I was up there.


When I came home I did some cleaning, did some dishes, and tried to look at probability.  I've come to realize that at the moment, I just have no motivation to study.  I could work on a project or something just fine.  But doing problems and memorizing formulae?  Yeah... my brain just wanted nothing to do with it.  So that was fun.  I did, however, learn that there is a Zombie-themed 5k run/obstacle course in various locations over the year.  And as crazy fortune would have it, there is one in Indianapolis on my birthday!  So...I might have to consider that.


I made meatloaf for dinner.  Kathryn came over to study, which turned into finally trying out Concannon's Bakery, since it's about 5 seconds from my apartment.  Oh my word... the cheesecake is fantastic.  Worth every single penny.  I regret nothing.  Then we came back and studied some more.  The quiz tomorrow is just a review of what we've done so far... hopefully I do well on it.  We'll see!


Ok.  Time for bed now.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment