3.13.2012

Day 294

Well.  Class started today.  Woo hoo.


Today actually started quite unexpectedly.  Around 7 I was just sitting down for breakfast when I get a text from Tim, asking if I can give him a ride to class.  I figured that I could make it if I hurried.  So hurry I did!  Tim is oh a medication currently and he can't drive while he's on it.  His wife (Erin) was going to bring him to class, but she pregnant and officially full-term.  And she was quite sick this morning.  So that plan didn't work out so well, but it's all ok.  He got to class.  Tim got his official acceptance as an intern for the Indiana Department of Insurance.  They want him to start as soon as possible, so he'll be starting some work at home at the beginning of April.  He's hoping that since they are giving him work that can be done away from the office that perhaps they will occasionally let him work at home once the summer starts.  Currently he'll have to drive about an hour and a half each way to his internship.  Miserable, but that's reality.


Anyhow.  We got our tests back in investments today.  I did well, so I was happy.  He also assigned our take home exam, do next Monday.  It looks a lot like the in-class midterm, but with a little more information.  Hopefully it's not too bad.


Then we had Atrium hour.  I don't remember any significant discussions... but it was a long time ago.  Who knows.


Then we had life con.  We talked a little bit about the project that's due tomorrow.  Dr. Foley was very clear that we won't be getting the exact answers, and I kind of wondered why he kept saying that.  Turned we learned why.  A few of the assumptions we'd been making (which he reminded us are very reasonable assumptions) are not accurate.  Actuaries make the kinds of assumptions that we made all the time because it's not worth an extra hour or so of work if the work is going to make less than a 1% difference.


After class Dustin and I went to Taco Bell for lunch, since I didn't have time to make a lunch this morning.  As always it was fantastic.  We had a nice nostalgic discussion of video games growing up.  Even though "growing up" was at very different times (he's 7 years older than I am) we still played some of the same games.  It was fun.  I remained on campus because I was supposed to meet someone on campus to return a book I had borrowed from him.  I did a little probability... but not as much as I should have.  I talked with my friend Saha for a little bit.  He's from Bangladesh and he is putting on a "Bangladesh night" with some of his other friends from there.  At first we were just talking about break and I mentioned that I like to cook.  So he asked if I'd ever had any Bangladesh food.  I told him that I haven't, but that I used to eat a decent amount of curried food because a house mate of one of my co-workers was Indian, and I'd go over there every week or so for curry meals.  So Saha invited me to this Bangladesh night, where he and some of his friends are going to cook native food (which he said is also a lot of curried food) and do some other stuff to just show us what their culture is like.  I'm pretty excited.  At the end of the month I'm going to an "Africa night," which is pretty much the same thing... but put on by the students from Africa.  I'm pretty excited.


Anyhow.  When I got back on campus... I didn't really do much.  I did a little probability, but I just couldn't focus.  I hate days like that.


Around 6 I went down to the FedEx office to pick up my package... since apparently the delivery guy couldn't figure out where I live.  Not a huge deal. When I got back I started to make my new phone usable.  At first my contacts weren't syncing... so I was getting text messages but I had no idea who they were.  Well, I had a decent idea.  But it was nice when my contacts actually synced to my phone like they were supposed to.


Also I learned that when you go through the set-up on the phone and it says "you're done!" you aren't really done.  You still have to call Verizon.


Umm... I made my salads for the week.  I'm going to try just making a big salad mixed before hand and see if that stays reasonably not-brown.


Ok.  I'm tired.  So I'm going to bed.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment