3.17.2012

Day 298

Hi everyone! I was too tired to update last night, so here is yesterday's update!


I had a lot to do yesterday morning.  I was going to wake up early to get everything done, but I was just too tired.  So I went back to sleep and elected to skip my 8am class.  I have 0 regrets.  When I did eventually get up, I showered, ate, then packed and got ready for my interview.  The plan was to leave right after life contingencies for my interview.


Life con was fine.  We just talked more about this new modeling that we'll be using and how to transition from the older models we've been using.  Nothing too life changing.


Whenever I go on a trip I forget to bring something.  I've just accepted this about myself.  It doesn't matter how much preparation I put into it, I will inevitably forget to bring something.  So my task is to make sure that thing is as insignificant as possible.  This time it was the invitation to the wedding I'm going to today.  But I was able to get the address from a friend, so no issues were had.


So my interview.  First of all, the building for Central Mutual is just gorgeous.  It looks like it's the mansion for a millionaire back in the 19th century.  I was really surprised.  Anyhow, Central recently purchased a local golf course, so we had lunch at the club house associated with it.  The food was very good.  I had chicken and rice with a little serving of spinach cooked in a raspberry sauce.  It was amazing.  Lunch was with the head of H.R and the Chief Actuary/CFO.  After lunch I got tour of the facility from the Chief Actuary/CFO, then interviewed with the head of HR for about an hour.  We mainly talked about my work experience and how I could see it being beneficial to the company, as well as what I wanted from an internship.  Then I met with the Chief Actuary/CFO for a while.  He asked me things more directly related to how I would fit in as an actuary, things like whether I work better in groups or individually, my knowledge of Excel, things like that.  I explained that I'd never written a macro, but that I have some experience programming in C++ and he confirmed what I've heard before that it's a very easy transition.  Now let's see how well I remember C++...  Overall I thought it went well.  I was told that there really wasn't a lot of competition for the position and no other potential interns, so if they decided they wanted to hire me on for the summer they could probably get the money and work for me to do.  That sounded promising to me.


Then I went to Findlay.  I got there just as mom and dad were starting to eat, so I joined them.  I told them about the interview and all of that business.  Kimmy arrived around 7:30.  So we all sat around and talked for a while.  At 8:30 Kimmy and I had pre-marital counseling with Dave, so we went to that.  Except that he kind of forgot that we were coming, so we just caught him before he was walking out the door.  But he and Tracy were able to get everything figured out.  We went to the church and had our session and it was good.


After that we stopped at Max and Erma's to so hi to Becky, then went to Steak and Shake to get food.  Then we came back and it was bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment