2.01.2012

Day 254

I just got super excited about going to bed.  I'm pretty tired.


This morning when I went to make eggs, one of the eggs broke in the carton.  I was sad.  But I'm over it now, I think.  It was tough at first, but I've grown and become a better person.


In investments we did something, I think.  Mainly Dr. Foley talks about stuff that doesn't really connect with the chapter we're supposedly discussing.  He spent the first 10 minutes talking about the quiz we turned in on Monday.  He took the last page of one of the student's and was talking about how it might not be right because the numbers looked too big.  Except that he hadn't worked it out yet, and the rest of us had really similar answers.  So then we talked about why the numbers might be so big.  I really questioned why I had woken up to go to that class...


I did much better in my probability quiz this week than I did last week.  Thankfully.  Not much else to say about that, except that studying for next week's quiz is going to be miserable.  This chapter is very long and goes over some stuff that I'm not especially familiar with, like Chebyshev's inequality.


After class I went to the Atrium to eat lunch.  It was pretty full so the table where I was sitting filled up pretty quickly.  I was joined by some fantastic freshmen.  They were real winners.  It was a group of three guys, one of whom was obviously trying to prove that he was the alpha male by telling appalling stories.  I don't miss being a freshman.


I had an interview today.  I thought it went really well.  Even the interviewer said that he thought I had done really well.  He really liked that I've had a class to learn how to use Access and even had a little bit of experience with it.  He said that usually people have a class in Excel and try to figure out Access, but he liked that I had a class in Access and just figured out my way around Excel because Access is so much more complicated.  So we talked for a little bit about how we are quick to Google things when we don't know the answer.  The interview questions were pretty standard: "why do you want to be an actuary," "what are your strengths and weakness," "why do you want to work for this company," and things like that.  As I was researching CNO last night, I realized that I legitimately do like the company, on paper anyhow.  They really push for being a company for the middle class, and their entire structure shows that.  They have good ratings, but nothing superb.  They focus on values that are important to individuals, not just rich executives.  They try to focus on the products that people need, not necessarily trying to sell things that people don't want.  I don't know, I just really liked it.  There are a lot of career ASA* actuaries at the company, which I liked.  (*This means that an actuary took a little more than half the exams and is an Associate in the Society of Actuaries, not a Fellow who took all the exams).  This means that there isn't a huge push for passing all the exams and they don't mind if you decide to stop someday.  The guy who interviewed me is a career ASA.  He finished his last exam around the time that he and his wife adopted their second daughter and he just didn't want to study for my exams while he was raising a family.  I told him that I felt the same way.  If Kimmy and I decide to have kids, I don't want to be studying for exams while they're growing up.  I want to at least become an Associate, but if I don't finish all of the exams, I'm fine with that.  As long as the company for whom I am working is fine with it as well.  Anyhow, I thought the interview went well.  He mentioned a few times that he liked my technical experience, so I hope that's a good sign.  I'm going to email him after I take my exam, and hopefully I can inform him of my unofficial pass.


After my interview I came home.  Kimmy and I then got ready and went on Apartment Adventures part 2.  We wanted to give Creekside and Orchard another look.  I'm really glad that we did.  It was very helpful.  After a lot of thought, we've decided to go for Creekside.  I'm not looking forward to the longer drive, but Orchard just didn't seem as nice the second time and I think that we'll be happier in Creekside.  Plus we'd probably be spending around $30 a month for laundry in Orchard.  I'm pretty happy with our decision.  Now I just need to do some paperwork.  Woo!


Umm.... after Kimmy left for Mount Vernon Dustin and Timbo came over to study for our exam on Friday.  They were here for a couple hours.  It wasn't too bad, but a lot of the stuff we didn't directly talk about in class.  So we had to do a lot of referencing and deriving equations.  But we got through it.


I didn't study for FM today at all.  Boo.  But I had a lot of other important things to do, so I'm ok with it, I suppose.  But I'm going to bed now so that I can get up and study tomorrow. Woo hoo.  So.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment