2.02.2012

Day 255

Well.  Today was Thursday.  Indeed.


I had oatmeal for breakfast.  I think I'm almost out, but I can't remember if I have another box or not.  For the past couple of weeks I've been getting one box of oatmeal and one dozen eggs for breakfast.  I really like that combination.  It keeps everything fresh and I don't get tired of anything.  Though I'm not a huge fan of using American cheese in my eggs.  It way cheaper... but not very good.  I need to get some other cheese.


Today in the lab I just graded.  There was a lot.  And some of the problems were very detailed.  So out of my 5 lab hours today I graded for about 4 of them.  Even though it's not difficult work, it's very meticulous.  And looking so intensely at the work is tiring.  I had class as well.  In life con Dr. Foley just worked through the practice exam.  It was sort of useful.


After class I had lunch then went back to the lab.  I really like the salad dressing I got this week.  It's some sort of creamy catalina.  It's really good.  And the taco seasoning is amazing on the chicken.  I think that I'm going to start getting salad dressing at Meijer.  It's not that much more expensive ($2 versus $1.75) for way better selection.


Today I realized yet again that I don't fit in well with some of the other actuarial students.  Many of them are mainly in this for the money.  I guess I just don't care enough about money.  If I end up enjoying this, then I would definitely do it for less.  As long as I can pay my bills and save part of each pay check, I don't see why I would need more money.  I guess that back when I was in education I had resigned to the fact that I wouldn't be making much money.  So I've always been in a mindset of having a low cost of living.  And being a graduate assistant has made me realize that I really don't need that much money to live.  Sure, I'm not paying for everything at the moment.  I'm paying for the majority of my daily expenses, save phone and insurance.  But I'm learning how to live on not much money.  And how to be happy even when I don't have an abundance of money.  I like the simply life.  And it will be nice to be paid well, but it's not necessary.  If I realize that for some reason I don't like being an actuary, then I'll work somewhere else.  For me, liking the job and job security are the two biggest priorities.  If I like my job, then I can be happy and work and at home.  If I don't like my job (a sacrifice for more money), then I will only be happy at home.  I read a study once that one average, a person's happiness does not increase with their income after around $60 or $70 thousand a year.  And I think that's a matter of economics.  Having more money doesn't mean that you're going to buy more things that will give you more satisfaction. a $300 item and a $5 item could give you the same satisfaction.  All of that to say: as long as I can pay my bills and have money left over, then I will be satisfied.


Also: if anyone has spare furniture that they don't want, I will probably happily take it off your hands.  Kimmy and my current collection of furniture for next year includes: an office chair, a rocking chair, a futon, and a recliner (maybe).  So if you're looking to get rid of furniture, we would probably be interested!


I've also come to realize that my grad school experience has not really been photographed at all.


When I got back to my apartment I studied for FM for a bit.  I was kind of surprised at how many poorly worded questions there were on the exam that I started.  It's frustrating to know that there are going to be poorly worded questions on the exam and there's nothing I can do about it.  Actually that's false.  If I can remember the question, then I can send a letter to the SOA and tell them why I felt like they were bad questions.


Timbo and Dustin came over for dinner and then for more studying.  We formally decided that if we can get enough studying done between tomorrow afternoon and Sunday evening, we're going to have a little superbowl party.  So hopefully I can get enough work done before then.  Anyhow, we studied life con and investments.   And after they left I worked on FM some more.  And now I'm going to go to bed.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment