8.29.2012

Day 464

I started the day off by being an adult!  After my shower and everything I bought some auto and renter's insurance.  All by myself!  And then I payed some utility bills.

After my little stint of adulthood I did some grading and other prep for class tomorrow. Then I got some lunch and went to class.

While I was at class Kimmy drove to Anderson to apply for a job at a candy store.  She's been applying at a lot of places in the past couple of weeks, so hopefully she can get some interviews soon.  Muncie doesn't have a lot of open positions... unless you're a truck driver.

Anyhow, class was fine.  I felt like I was really able to follow along well in my MFE class, which is nice.  Sometimes I feel like we go really fast and I can't really keep up.  But today I was able to contribute and things.  It was nice.  One of the guys in our class is an executive in the Actuarial Club, so he gave a plug-in for the meeting tonight.  He made a comment about how grad students don't really get involved with it and he wasn't so sure why, so Tim gave him a response.  Generally the club is very adamant about how helpful it is to be in the club because you get to have presentations from different companies and put your resume in their resume book that gets handed out to some (probably ten to twenty) companies.  So Tim asked this guy if he had any data to show how many people had gotten jobs from this resume book.  This was met with silence.  Our professor (Mr. Owens) was able to defend the guy from the club a little bit by saying that the resume book will get looked at specifically by actuaries who want to hire... not just someone in HR.  But Mr. Owens was also curious as to whether anyone has actually gotten hired through use of the resume book.

When I got back Kimmy and I had an early dinner.  This evening I went to the Actuarial Club meeting, so I had to eat early and leave.  I gave a presentation there!  It was the first meeting of the year, so the first half was mainly just the club executives introducing themselves and explaining why we should all be in the club.  Then a few of us who've been meeting together discussed why the students (specifically freshmen) should be going to the career fair and getting internships.  My part was about how to prepare for the career fair and be professional.  So another guy and I talked about how to dress, how to control "intangibles" (like handshakes, smiling, eye contact), and things of that nature.  I thought it went well.  Mr. Owens went and he had a lot of good advice to add.  After it was over I talked with some of the other students about our internships and we compared notes a little bit.  It was interesting to hear their experiences and to swap stories.

After I got home I attempted to do some work, but my brain was fried.  After making no progress I stopped trying.  I did a lot of work today and my brain was quite ready to be done.  Yup!

So now I'm off to bed.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment