8.28.2012

Day 463

Today began with class.  I taught the last section of the chapter before I start reviewing for the exam next week.  We got through the material really quickly, so I was able to go over some questions on the project and go over the study guide for the exam.  I think they'll do well.

After class I went to my office to work on the take home quiz for Foley's class.    It wasn't too bad.  Then I had lunch with Timbo and Paul.  I took a sandwich instead of a salad because I didn't have a lot of lettuce left.  It's hard to take a salad when I only pack a lunch twice a week because when I'm at home, it's just easier to eat left overs or something.  Oh well.  Hopefully at some point I can get back to eating salads.

After class I came home whereupon Kimmy and I cleaned up a little bit.  Timbo and Paul came over for dinner!  Paul wants to get better at cooking, so I showed him how I make chicken and rice.  It's a nice easy meal that is quite tasty.  So they helped me cook dinner.  During dinner we talked about getting jobs and I kind of explained my perspective on how wages work.  In a corporate office, you are often paid for a number of things.  It could be expertise needed for the job (whether it's formal education or specific training), it could be how much other people like or dislike doing that job, or it could be how much of your life this job consumes.  If you have a job that requires you to only put in your 8 hours then go home and only requires an associate's degree, you won't be paid as much (generally) as someone who had to have a PhD in some area and is required to travel every other weekend.  In the case of executives, they get paid 6 or 7 figure salaries because they are getting paid to not have a life outside of work.  They could be putting in 14 or so hour days 6 days a week... and probably even doing some work on the seventh day.  Not many people have that expertise, that desire to devote their entire life into work, or the will to give up their entire personal life for work.  Some people really want to do that.  Personally, I'd prefer to get a decent job and enjoy my life.... not just watch my bank account grow but never use it.

Anyhow.  After they went home I did some studying for a while.  Then.... I was done.  Kimmy and I ate some cheesecake and watched a TED talk.  I applied for a couple of jobs!  Hopefully I hear back from them... sometime!

I'm going to bed now.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment