8.20.2012

Day 454

Well.  Today was the last day before school starts!

I got up early to do some studying.  So I studied and ate and everything.  Then Kimmy and I went to church.  Today the pastor talked about how wrong it is to hang on to a belief that keeping some mystical list of "dos and dont's" will get us into heaven.  It's easy to maintain a list of absolute rights and wrongs.  It's much harder to unconditionally love our neighbors... and enemies.  I really like that Mark (our pastor) is very up front about how important it is to do certain things.  He doesn't suggest that we love people... he is very adamant about how we have to do it.  He does that for other things too, like when something is going on at church.  Pastor Mark stresses how important it is to be at church functions and grow as a community.  Quote: "I know you're sitting there thinking about how busy you are and don't have time.  You know what?  Make time.  This is important and you all need to be here."  He certainly is not passive or shy in his beliefs, and I really like that.

After church mom and dad came to visit!  They brought us their green couch and had lunch with us.  Mom gave us an update from Primrose and dad told us about some of the things that have been going on with his team.  I was glad that they were able to come visit.

After lunch I studied for a little bit, but then realized that nothing was sticking.  So I got some coffee, took an hour break, then got back at it.  I hate how addicting coffee is... but it's just so effective at keeping me focused and thinking clearly.  

Tomorrow is a review day for my studying.  I really like that my study manual has those built in.

Kimmy and I had a late dinner, then I did some more studying when we got back.  I also read for class tomorrow, but I plan on reading it again tomorrow morning.  The book for my Financial Economics course uses a textbook that was also used for my Financial Math class/exam.  It's not a very good book, but it's pretty much the only one out there that covers this specific material.  I say that it's not good because the author tried to write it for both MBA students and mathematicians.  To be fair, that's a very difficult task.  I think my issue is that it's too mathematically technical for most MBA students to really understand, but it is not consistent with commonly accepted mathematical notation for me to readily grasp it.  Many of it's definitions are often unclear and the examples tend to confuses the matter even more.  And the practice problems (once you understand the material) are often just trivial and not near the caliber necessary for exam preparation.  

I would like to sit down with the author for a mid-afternoon lunch or tea and discuss some of the issues I have with his text book.  He has a lot of great information hidden in that book, but I just wish to help him make it more apparent.  We would sit at an outdoor cafe, eating the soup and sandwich special while a young barista refilled our coffee when necessary.  Yes, I believe that McDonald and I could make some good headway on this.

Anyhow.  Reading was fine.  I also finished up my lesson for Tuesday, I believe.

Then I played a game with Miles... and now it's time for bed.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment