9.01.2011

Day 103

I really liked today.  I had a lot of fun.


This morning I had math finance as usual.  I think that Mr. Frye is starting to warm up to us.  He is a very quiet and reserved individual, but we all really like him.  He seems very nice and I think it's safe to say that we've all learned a lot from his teaching.


Today's quote of the day comes from life contingencies with Mr. Dean.  We were discussing why there is a difference between the death rates of people with insurance policies and the general public.  It mainly comes down to the fact that people with life insurance polices are part of a different socio-economic demographic than those who do not have life insurance policies, the former group being the one that lives longer. So Mr. Dean says "you know they say that money can't buy you happiness.  But it can buy you longer life!"  He said it completely seriously, which made it even funnier.  It was way funnier at the time... and writing it out I feel silly and kind of like a bad person.  So I'm going to move along now.


After life contingencies I taught my class.  It went really well today.  After I passed homework back I explained how I had graded it and everyone seemed to think it was acceptable.  I heard no complaints (and they definitely would have let me know if they didn't like something...).  After I passed that back I read them the story of the Pied Piper.  I didn't get applause, but they liked it.  I think I may start asking them how the moral I choose applies to the story.  Yeah... I think that would be a good idea.  I also think that on the test I'm going to offer bonus points relating to the stories.  But we'll see.


I went to my office afterwards and had lunch.  Did some life contingencies.  Yup, it was fun stuff.  None of my students came.  Oh well!


After that... Erica and Katheryn and I went to Wal-mart to get stuff for Jordan's semi-surprise birthday part tonight!  It was only a partial surprise because Jordan knew I was making dinner... but she didn't know that we had invited all our math-y friends.  So we got stuff to make tacos and chip dip and cake.  When we got back I started baking the cake and browning the meat while Katheryn did homework and Erica went to go do stuff with a friend.  So I made the taco meat, I baked a cake, and I made some cheese and salsa dip for the chips.  I got it finished around the time that Timbo showed up.  He offered to help, but there really wasn't much left to do.  Jacob, Dustin and Jordan came soon after.  I made everyone wear party hats.  So we had dinner and it was tasty.  Everyone told me that it was really good.  I felt like such an expert chef!


A little before 6 we all went to campus for a seminar for actuarial students on making a resume.  I learned a little bit but knew most of it already.  Afterwards we all came back to my apartment for cake!  We also spent a considerable amount of time trying to plan for our soccer party tomorrow.  All my friends seemed really amazed when I said that I was going to make pizza.  I had to explain that I did, in fact, mean that I would be making dough from scratch.  They were astounded.  Silly them.


After they left I spent a while cleaning up.  In their defense they did offer to help, but I didn't think it was necessary.  It was mainly a one person job.  So i finished cleaning up, talked with Clifton for a while, then started typing up a resume!  I have to have it submitted to some website or whatever by the weekend.  So tomorrow after class Timbo is going to come over and look over it with me.  But in the mean time.... sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment