9.20.2011

Day 122

And one more day of grad school done.  I think it's a bad sign that I'm counting the days down (not literally) already.  At the end of the week I will be 1/12th of the way done.


It didn't occur to me this morning that I would have no way of transporting my cakes to class.  So I just put them in a grocery bag and hoped for the best.  They didn't fit along the bottom of the bag so I had to stand them on end.  Ultimately this may have been a poor choice... but whatever.  Life went on.


In both finance and life contingencies we just worked through some practice problems.  It was helpful.  Yeah.  Not much to say about it.


My class went well.  They were all pretty excited that I brought cake, even though it was horribly mangled.  In retrospect, I should have considered that the aluminum foil would stick to the icing... but I didn't think of it at the time.  So I had to scrape icing off the foil and put it back on.  It didn't look pretty... but it was cake.  And we were all happy.  I don't know whether my students are nervous or terrified of the exam on Thursday.  A few of them are stopping by my office I believe, so we'll see how that goes I guess.  I feel like they'll do fine though.  They seem to get the general ideas, but I think that some of the examples have been a bit too difficult for them.  So we'll see what happens!  I occurred to me while I was writing the exam that each question on the exam has the same point value as one homework assignment.  I may do that differently next semester.


After class I came home and had lunch.  I was going to eat lunch in my office but I forgot salad dressing :(  So I came home.  Did some work while I ate.  Then I went for a run.  That was an adventure.  I decided I was going to try 5 miles (since that's how far I'll be going in the race) just to see what happened. Yeah.  That was exciting.  I planned some route that took me out into the country...somewhere.  So I got about halfway out and my legs decided to be done running.  My lungs and the rest of my body was fine.  But my legs decided that they were done running.  So I walked for quite some time, tried to run again... nothing.  I think I ran probably the last half mile or so?  Bleh.  This race is going to kill me.


After I showered I worked on life contingencies for a while.  I feel pretty good about the chapter 2 and 3 stuff, and that's what I focused on today.  So that's comforting.  Tomorrow I'll be looking more at chapter 4.... which will be far less enjoyable.  Ew.  I had leftover pizza for dinner.  I really haven't cooked in a while.  I'll cook on Thursday.  That'll be good.  Maybe I'll finally make chicken curry!


I had small group tonight.  I really enjoyed that.  We've started going through a book called "Notes from the tilt-a-whirl."  I don't have it yet though, so it was tricky to follow along.  Apparently it's a very in-depth read.  But it sounds really interesting.  We discussed how God makes himself known at the atomic level, and then things got very existential.  Which I think is good, but maybe that's just me.  We talked about proving God versus believing and how that is different from having evidence.  It was a really good talk.


It turns out that one of the guys in small group was someone I had emailed back in January about potentially living together.  That was really entertaining to find out.


Yeah.  So I got lost on the way back.  I missed my turn.  It was dark.  So I tried to use my GPS to get back, but lots of roads were closed.  Of course.  So it took me a while... but I eventually did get back.  And now I'm tired.  So I'm going to bed.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment