9.14.2011

Day 116

If today had been over around 8am this morning I would have called it a successful day.  As it stands... Friday at noon cannot come fast enough.  But praise God almighty this day is finally over.

Spoiler alert: this is essentially a rant about my day.

Where to begin.  Last night I went to bed too late because I was finishing homework for class today with my study group.  So I slept in just a little bit.  Maybe 20 minutes.  And I'm glad I did.  I try to get in to work around 9 even though my scheduled hours aren't until 10, it just gives me a little extra time to get work done.  So I left my apartment around 9, got to my office about 9:15 or so.  I went up to the computer lab to print my resumes for the career fair today.  But apparently the printer was running out of ink.  I had run a test copy on regular paper and it was great.  So I sent my resumes through on my resume paper.  The first 5 were lovely.  Then... the ink started to go.  After about 10 there was a huge streak of white through the middle of my resumes.  And I had no more resume paper.  So, you know, I was pretty excited about that.  Frustrated, I just went to my office to get some work done.

That went well.  I was so nervous about the career fair (and I was really hot, so that made me even more flustered) that I couldn't focus on grading.  I got maybe 4 papers done in an hour.  I ate lunch then tried to grade some more, but I just couldn't concentrate.  So I left my office and went for a walk.  I went down to the book store to buy some breath mints... intelligent me had pasta with garlic in it for lunch.  It felt amazing outside.  Nice and cool.

I got to the job fair a little early, talked with Richard, talked with Tim.  Most of the companies offering actuarial internships were right at the front, so that was nice.  I talked with a few and they all seemed really nice.  I don't really know what they got out of it though.  They aren't going to remember most of us.  We're just faces.  I got some information and signed up for another interview with Mercer tomorrow.  But everyone who talked with them got a chance to sign up.  That's not a bad thing, it just wasn't as selective as getting a call from Jackson.  Speaking of Jackson, I talked with the people at their booth.  They were really nice.  I'm really excited to interview with them tomorrow.  We talked about the living situation for the interns.  And about cooking.  They were both really nice.  Um... I really liked talking with the guy from Nyhart.  He was only a few years older than I am, it seemed.  We were just kind of talking, so I decided to be a tad bold and ask him something I've always been wondering.  I asked whether he thought that the salary was justified for the work that he did.  And he said that in his mind, you're paying intelligent people to do work that most other people cannot do.  So in his mind, the pay is justified.  We also talked about how actuaries are continually ranked as some of the most satisfied people and how it's known for being a low stress job.  He said "I want to know which actuaries they ask for those questions.  It's probably the ones who've had their fellows forever and spend their day on the golf course trying to get new clients.  If you see that booth around here, come back for me.  I'll give them my resume."  I liked him.  Let's see... Jordan passed out.  :/  It was really warm in there and she was very nervous.  I wasn't there when it happened, but she's doing better now.

After the job fair (I was there for about 2 and a half hours) I had planned on going back to my office to do some work.  But it appears that was not the plan that actually happened.  Clifton called me and said that Windermere had left a note on my door.  So I asked him to read it to me and it said that I owe $515.  To be paid immediately.  First off, I was so glad that Clifton called me because otherwise I wouldn't have been back until around 9pm...well after the offices were closed.  So I went back to my apartment and sure enough, I hate a notice.  So I went over to the main office to have a chat.  It appears that I did, in fact, owe rent for August.  It seems that all the signs I saw for "free August rent" we for people who signed up in August.  I signed under a different special.  When I mentioned that no one at move in had told me that I owed money they apologized and said that I shouldn't have been able to move in.  Now, they were very busy.  Very very busy.  So I don't hold that against them... but they also shouldn't hold this against me.  Anyhow, they have a $65 late fee policy (which they had mentioned earlier and I was well aware of this).  But apparently what happened was that since I didn't pay August's rent on time they charged a late fee.  But when I paid September's rent (at which point they made no mention of me owing additional money), the system automatically assumed I was paying August's rent... meaning that I hadn't paid September's rent.  Meaning that my September rent is technically over due.  The lady I talked to agreed that I certainly was not completely in the wrong, so she is going to talk with the head manager and call me back tomorrow with an update.  Yay.  I guess I'm additionally frustrated because I just sat down the other day for about an hour and budgeted out my paychecks.  But I guess for this month's paychecks I'm just going to be making due with what I have.  Ugh, this is frustrating.  I'm trying to be really good with my money and I'd even planned on saving about a quarter of my paycheck.  But... I guess that's not happening this month.

So then after I got that all kind of figured out I went to statistics.  We started with a quiz.  My brain was entirely shot from everything that has happened today, but I think I did decently.  I know I missed one of them... but I just couldn't wrap my mind around how to calculate the probability that the third heart is drawn on the sixth draw.  I figured out the probability that 3  hearts were drawn in six cards... but whatever.  I was close.  And now I know what to do.

After class there was an informational session with CNA where they just talked about their company.  I don't know how I feel about these informational sessions.  They're trying to sell themselves to us.... but any one of us would be a fool to not take whatever internship is offered to us.  If CNA offered me an internship you better believe I'd take it.  Or if Allstate offered me one. Or Mercer.  Or Jackson.  Or Cininnati Financial.  Or Aegon.  Or Anthem or Prudential.  Or any other place I stopped by today.  They don't need to sell themselves... I already want to be there!  Please, hire me!  But I got free food.

After the informational session I was done.  My brain could not handle any more things.  I didn't get grading done for tomorrow, I haven't finished researching Jackson or Mercer for my interviews tomorrow (Jackson at 2, Mercer and 4:30).  But my brain is just done.  It can handle no more things.  And so I'm going to bed.

Oh, and I'm coming down with a cold.

1 comment: