9.24.2011

Day 126

Today was much better than yesterday.  I woke around 9:15, which was later than I had planned.  I didn't set an alarm because I figured I would wake up around 8 or so.  Apparently not.  Anyhow, I got up, ate, and then went for a run.  I went 3.5 miles today.  My goal is to get a 4-4.5 mile run in sometime next week.  Maybe Tuesday after lunch.  Yeah, I'll plan for that.


When I got back I showered and did a little grading.  I finished grading the extended answer problems then graded the homework.  In setting up my syllabus it occurred to me that each multiple choice question on the test would be worth slightly more than a homework assignment.  It then occurred to me that most of my math classes were about that way.  A ten question, 100 point exam was pretty common.  And usually each homework was worth 10 points.  I'm not sure why I never realized this.  Oh well.  I'm not exactly the brightest person in the world.


Kimmy and I went to go get lunch at the nearby Chinese restaurant.  I got General Tso's chicken and rice.  I really like that.  I think it might be my new favorite.  I have some left over, so I'll eat that for dinner tomorrow night.


After lunch Timbo came over to get his backpack and laundry that he left at my apartment yesterday.  He seemed a bit out of it.  I asked him if he wanted to stay to do homework but he had to go grocery shopping.  I've finally convinced him to start going to Meijer instead of Marsh's, since Meijer is way cheaper.  A bit after Timbo left Kathryn and Erica came over.  I invited Dustin but he opted to stay at home where he could use a table, which is understandable.  He and I both prefer doing work at a table and sitting in chairs.  We really don't like sitting on the floor.  Back support is a wonderful thing.  Anyhow, we did homework for a while.  I think I worked on stats from about 2 to 5 and got about 15 problems done.  Only 25 more to go....ugh.  This is going to kill me.  I really wish she hadn't assigned so many problems when we also have to study for an exam in that class.  I think the thing that gets me most about the homework assignments in that class is all the proofs we have to do.  I don't mind doing applied problems because I'll be doing probability and statistics problems as an actuary.  But I can (with 98% certainty) say that I won't be needing to do proofs as an actuary.  I just feel that it's unnecessary.  But this class is also for statistics grad students... and this is probably beneficial to them.  Or something.  I need to see if Dr. Begum has time to help me with some of the problems.


For dinner I had the rest of my stir-fry from dinner last night.  Then I did some more homework.  Well, actually I started studying for math finance.  I think that my current plan is to do the stats homework and then just study for finance until Tuesday.  Then I'll spend the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday until the exam studying for stats.  Hopefully the homework helps prepare me for the exam.....


Yeah.  I spent most of the evening doing problems in finance.  I've been working through the chapter review problems because they're the hardest and use multiple concepts from each section, so it gives a good indicator of how well you understand the concepts.  They just take a while.  And now I'm done.  I think that I'm going to go grocery shopping for church tomorrow.  Then I'll have all afternoon and evening to do work.  Yeah... I think I'll do that.


Yup.  So... good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment