9.25.2011

Day 127

Kimmy had to go back this morning.  I tried to convince her not to, but she claims that she has school or some silliness.


I got up around 8 so that I could go grocery shopping before church.  I didn't need to get much.  Basically just produce for my lunch, apples, and bagels.  I had to get toothpaste also.  I saw that they had a selection of cologne so I was looking through it and was really surprised to see some Kenneth Cole cologne for about half the regular price.  I was going to get some but I don't have the money right now.  Hopefully it's still there (or they get more) after my next paycheck.  I'm running out of my current cologne.  Bleh.


When I got back I folded some laundry and did a little cleaning.  Then I did some finance.  Jessie and Richard came to pick me up for church around 10:40.  The sermon was good.  He talked about how being persecuted as a Christian is normal and should be expected.  He made a lot of good points, like how accepting people are to most religions except Christianity.  There are definitely other religions out there that get no love, but there aren't many and Christianity is one of the main ones.  One of the important characteristics of Jesus was his counter-cultural agenda.  He broke trends and didn't compromise.  He also didn't get defensive about things.  He took meekness to heart, let his attackers do their worst, and showed everyone that there is a better way by his example, not but being resentful of people who hated him.  I like that.  I think we can all do a little (or a lot) better at not being defensive when we get attacked, but instead just understand that we need to preach the gospel through our actions, not through our heated arguments.


After church I went to Jessie and Richard's apartment for lunch.  We had spaghetti and garlic bread.  It was really tasty.  I also picked up the tests that Jessie graded for me.  I was... not amused.  I guess it really wasn't so bad.  The average test grade was a 71%, but the median was 69%.  One person got above a 90%.  Blech.  But I guess since someone got above a 90 that it wasn't a terrible test.  I'll talk with them on Tuesday.  I don't know whether I want to curve it or not.  I'm leaning towards not... simply because the average was above a 70%.  But there are plenty of students who would benefit from some sort of extra credit.  So I might try to do something of that nature.  Maybe re-work parts of the exam for partial credit.  Maybe community service.  I'm not sure yet.


So I finished grading and calculating grades this afternoon.  I still was in no mood to study so I entered receipts into my excel sheet.  Good news: I can pay my rent!  Woo!  I had dinner a bit early.  I was pretty hungry.  I had some of my leftover General Tso's chicken.  But it was too sweet so I couldn't eat very much of it.  Oh well.


Eventually I did some stats homework.  I feel so helpless when I work on that.  Most of the time I have absolutely no idea what's going on.  Well, that's not true.  It's mainly just the proofs.  It's really frustrating because (as I've said before) I won't need to prove anything as an actuary.  I'll just need it to work.  I'm sure that doing these proofs could be beneficial, but I think it would be better if we just did homework that involved computations.  And there's just way too much, which is also frustrating.  I'm getting the feeling that my grad program is not normal.  It seems very very difficult.  Which I expect from a graduate program.  I just hear Richard talk about his program or even Jessie talk about hers and they both agree that it seems to be very difficult.  But I guess that's more of the nature of math: it's very conceptual.  If you understand the concepts the computation isn't usually terrible.  That's the lesson I've learned from math finance.  If you know what the problem is asking, the actual computation generally isn't terrible.  Sometimes it is.  I'm actually very surprised how often I have to solve quadratic equations.  I'm not excited about taking the FM exam and not being able to use a graphing calculator with a solver function.  That's going to make solving polynomials so much harder.... gross.


I apparently got sidetracked right there.  Anyhow, I didn't work on stats for too terribly long because I wasn't getting very far but it was just frustrating me.  So I started studying finance.  That went much better.  I think that if I can get in some more good studying tomorrow that I should do decently on the exam.  Tomorrow will probably just be a long day.  I'm going to study some more after life contingencies, then Erica and I are going to talk with Dr. Begum about stats homework.  Then she and Adrian and I are going to work on the homework until class starts.  I'll study more finance after that.  I'm up to section 3.4, so I've gone through the first two chapters and only have a couple more sections to go.  I should be fine.  If I can do the chapter review problems then I think I'll be set.  We'll see.


I'm sad that my laundry is still in the basket.  I was hoping that it would magically put itself away.  But it didn't.  Dumb.  Maybe I'll do that eventually.  We'll see.  But for now it's bed time.  Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment