9.19.2011

Day 121

And another Monday of grad school is completed.


Today was pretty standard.  I had financial math, the life contingencies.  I think that reading over symbols and definitions over the weekend helped me better understand class.  So that's exciting.  It's really easy to get lost in all the terms and symbols.


After class I came back, made some cakes for my class tomorrow, and started watching a video to study for the FM exam.  When I was done with that I wrote a thank you note to the lady from Jackson's HR department who helped me set up the interview.  I had to leave early for class because the post office is on the complete opposite side of campus as the commuter parking lot.  So I had a nice walk down there in the rain.


Probability actually went pretty well today.  I was able to follow along much better than normal.  We have a test in there a week from Wednesday.... I'll start studying for that after my life contingencies test on Friday.


I think that I'm going to re-structure my lesson planning time.  I think that I'm going to do most of the work for my class on the weekends.  I have a hard time studying on the weekends, but usually an easier time during the week.  So I'm going to try that and see how it works.


After class Nyhart (insurance firm from Indianapolis) hosted a dinner at Scotty's for all the actuarial students.  So I got there and found a table with some second year grad students... and one poor little sophomore.  She had no idea what was going on most of the time.  I felt bad.  One of the guys from Nyhart (Ryan) sat at our table and we asked him lots of questions... but this girl was very shy and really didn't know what was happening.  So every so often Ryan would ask this girl a question and she would answer, but I don't know that she asked him any questions.  She seemed either bored or just uncertain.  We all learned a lot though.  Ryan left at one point to go talk with other people and so another guy from Nyhart came around.  I forget his name.  But we asked him some questions as well.  I asked him how they were able to pick a good interview or intern candidate when we all had very similar resumes and backgrounds.  All he could really say was that it usually isn't an easy task.  He kind of confirmed what I had been thinking: they know we're good at math.  We wouldn't have made it this far if we weren't.  So they're really looking for people who can communicate well.  I jokingly asked if he meant "good at communicating" or just "good for a math major."  He laughed and said that they take what they can get.


After dinner I went to Wal-mart to get plates and forks for the cake.  Then I visited Jessie for a little bit.  We just talked about school and how it's really hard and everything.  I told her that I'm thinking about waiting until February to take the FM exam.  This was something I had asked Ryan about at dinner.  He didn't seem too worried about taking a lot of exams... basically as long as I take one or two and have an internship he said I should be fine.  But he was saying that it might be better to just take all the information I have learned in the class and then use all of that as a basis to study for the next few months.  And that is starting to sound a lot more appealing and less stressful.


When I came back I iced the cake and talked with Clifton for a while.  I like him.  I'm so glad I get to live with him.  Then I helped Dustin write a thank you note to her interviewers at Mercer.  And now... I'm going to bed!  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment