9.16.2011

Day 117

Today was a good day.  Very way exhausting, but good.  I had both classes this morning.  I couldn't concentrate at all during financial math.  My brain was just so focused on the interviews.  Tim and Kathryn both had to leave during life contingencies for interviews.  Tim with CNA and Kathryn with Mercer.  From what I gathered those went well.


After life contingencies I taught my class.  I thought it went well or something. I didn't read from the book of virtues today.  Instead I read them this story, which I have classified under "empathy."  After that I finished the section on envy-free division.  I think most of them were getting it.  I could certainly tell that some people were lost, but those were almost entirely the people who don't pay attention anyhow.  I've decided that after I grade the exams I want to take some time to re-evaluate how I'm teaching.  I'll let them give me feed back so that I can prepare and lecture better.


After class I ate lunch in my office and prepared for my interview with Jackson.  I got there about half an hour early, looking sharp as always.  The interview went really well.  I actually had a lot of fun.  Ellen asked me some questions about myself and my education.  I felt like I was very prepared until we got to the last question: "If you were in my position what would you ask the person you were interviewing?"  I was completely thrown off by this.  So I said that I was not at all prepared for a question like that.  So I said "It's difficult for me to answer that since I have no experience as an actuary or as an interviewer.  So allow me to first ask this: what does a day in the life of an actuary involve?" So she explained everything the the average actuary does.  My question was then one of whether the candidate believed he or she was capable of such a situation.  Ellen then said that normally she would ask the interviewee that question, but that she felt like I had answered that already.  But overall I thought it went really well.  I really liked that Jackson seems to have such a significant focus on giving back to the community.


At 4:30 I had the Mercer interview.  Between interviews I went to my office and researched Mercer.  But that interview went well also.  This is the third time I had talked with Marie in the past three days and she remembered me!  Yay!  I really liked Mercer because she made their commitment to a high moral standard very apparent.  We talked about how we know what's right and wrong and how there is no choice... you just have to do what is right.  I believe that is from when she asked what had motivated me to get good grades in school.  So I told her that it just seemed like something I had to do.


After the interview I came back to my apartment and paid my rent off.  I only owed for the August rent and the late fee for August.  I was more OK with paying that late fee because I still would have owed a late fee even if I had paid at move in.  Apparently I could have paid online.  Oh well.  It's over now.


I had soup for dinner.  It wasn't soup night.


Eventually I got around to homework.  I talked with mom for a while.  Then more homework.  And now I just got way tired, so I'm going to bed.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment