11.28.2012

Day 554

Oh wow... so much happened today.

This morning I taught.  The lesson went well, reasonably well at least.  After class I had a small handful of emails to send and reply to.  Then I did some grade analysis and determined that I'm not concerned with people's grades.  I did an average of each test and chapter project (excluding all instances where people did not do a test or project), and found that the average score for each chapter was between a 74% and an 86%.  The department's general rule is that the average should be above a 70%, so I was pleased.

After my office hours I walked around outside for a bit, then did some studying for my test on Friday.  Oh, it's going to be fun.  I have so much to do in the next few days.  But one day at a time.

Then I went to class where I found out that a) I have an assignment due on Thursday, b) he handed out another assignment due next Tuesday, and c) he handed out a take-home exam due next Tuesday.  So much happiness.

After class I went to go talk with Mr. Owens for a little bit about my project.  It's 99.8% done, I just need to do one final thing.

Then I met up with some of the other actuarial science students and we went down to Indianapolis area for the Indiana Actuarial Club meeting.  Every fall the Indiana Actuarial Club has a meeting that is designed with students in mind.  Normally the club is populated by working actuaries, but they want to get the students involved... so some of us went down there with one of our professors.  The meeting was fine.  I talked with some students from Indiana University about their program.  It was cool, I guess.  It was a room full of 150 introverted people trying to socialize.  So that happened.  But we all made it, had some food, and listened to a pretty good presentation about what to expect as an up-and-coming actuary who will soon be entering the work force.  And she confirmed my suspicion that most likely, my first few months will largely be updating spreadsheets and checking for errors.  And reading.  But I actually find that comforting in that I won't feel too overwhelmed.  I guess we'll see what happens in a few months!

I got back around 9:45 and finally got home at 10.  I was happy to be back.  It was a long day and I was tired.

And now I'm going to bed.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment