11.02.2012

Day 528

I'm still of the opinion that I would enjoy teaching way more if I didn't have my own classes.  And I would enjoy my own classes if I didn't also have to teach.  But both... it takes a lot out of me.  However, seeing that I still have both very strongly present in my life, I continue to do my best.

This morning I began teaching a chapter on probability.  One of the disadvantages to teaching in the morning is that even if everyone understands what I'm saying, I get no kind of feedback.  I realize that this is not a universal sign to speed up or slow down... but I would like some sort of signal.  Even one person to say "hey, we get it... you can move on to the next thing" would be great.  But 98% of the time I get silence.  It's rough.  I enjoy teaching the class, but when so many students are just out of bed it can be pretty challenging.

After class I went up to my office and did some work on the group assignment that I gave them today.  Last year when I taught most of my students seemed to enjoy it, so I'm hoping this group likes it as well.

So then I had my own class this afternoon.  Today we ended our discussion of regression (a way of fitting data onto a line, like in this picture) and began our discussion on time series (a way of viewing data points over a series of time).  The two are very related, but I imagine that the analysis of the two will be significantly different.

When I got home I started studying.  My test tomorrow... well, we'll see how it goes.  So I studied for a while, had dinner with Kimmy, then studied some more.  I took a break to go to a meeting around 7.  Some of the other actuarial science students and I are putting on our second seminar for freshman to help them acclimate into the actuarial world.  There's a lot to handle.  So our next seminar will deal with the exam process (the two governing societies, what the exams cover, what classes you need to take for those exams, when those classes are offered, how to study for the exams, what materials to use), and then have a panel discussion with some of the students as well as professor Owens.  I think it will be a good time.

After I got home I studied for a couple more hours, but then my brain was done for the day.  So I'm off to bed and shall be back at the studying bright and early tomorrow morning.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment