11.09.2012

Day 535

I'm so glad that today is over.  This marked the third test I've had in less than a week.  Needless to say that I've been pretty busy and stressed over the past week and a half.

My class went decently well this morning.  Dr. Foley came to observe, so I was somewhat nervous for that.  I don't know why.... but we made it.  

After class I studied in my office for a couple hours.  Timbo and Alex came by later and we just quizzed each other on the different formulas and rules we needed to know.  I thought this chapter was really interesting.  My Regression class basically tries to answer this question: does our data fit a straight line? As it turns out, that's a huge questions.  So this chapter in particular dealt with determining whether the data points that are really far away from our line are really that important... and what to do with them.  And there is are a lot of judgement calls and many "rules of thumb" that we have to use.  We can do all sorts of different tests, but it always comes back to how accurate WE want our model to be.  In only a few cases is there a 100% objective determination of whether our model is good enough.

After the test I went to the computer lab and worked on my excel project for a while.  I made some good progress, and I think I have a good idea for how to include some fancy things.

I also proctored an exam for one of my friends, who was off at an interview.  That was pretty straight forward.  I did some theorizing for my project to figure out how the rest of it will work.  Once I get it all working I think it will be pretty cool.

When I got home I took the rest of the night off.  I need a solid break.  So I just got some food, cleaned, played some games, talked with my parents, and relaxed until Kimmy got home.  Then we talked and made a snack.  And by "a snack" I mean "I fried some bacon because it tasted amazing."

And now it's bed time, because I'm tired and sleeping sounds pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment