11.17.2012

Day 543

Yesterday was absolutely crazy.  So here we go.

I got up early, got ready and such, then went down to the in-hotel Starbucks for breakfast.  While down there I did some last minute prep for my interviews, wrote down some notes and questions to ask, and (because I've heard some companies will ask this at an interview) made sure I knew the current stock price.

Since I think I forgot to mention it earlier, I was in Cleveland for a second interview with Towers Watson.  They do "actuarial consulting."  The shortened explanation of this is is that some companies need problems solved but don't have the manpower/tools/money/knowledge/etc. to solve them.  So they hire out a consultant.  Since specific location of Towers Watson (there are many all over the world) deals with health and group benefits.

I made sure I had plenty of time before my interview, so I spent probably 15 minutes just walking around the block near the building.  It was very nice outside.  I got to the office suite a bit early, so I just sat down and talked with the receptionist.  Apparently Cleveland got hit reasonably hard by hurricane Sandy (considering how far away it is from the coast).  Then another lady came by, asked where I was from, and after telling her that I'm originally from Findlay she got excited and asked if I'd ever had Myles pizza.  So we talked about how glorious Myles pizza is and I informed them of the glory that is Myles Dairy Queen.

So after everyone was ready I started my rounds of interviews.  I had four interviews, then a lunch interview.  The first four were with different people of various levels within the company.  I talked with an actuarial consultant (someone mostly deals with clients), an actuarial manager (more of a project manager of sorts), and then two other higher level actuaries.  I thought that they all went reasonably well.  Hindsight is always (always) perfect, so afterwards I thought of some answers that were better than what I'd said... but I'm reasonably pleased with how things went.  After the formal interviews I had lunch two of their younger actuaries... I'd say they were both between 25 and 30.  It was very informal and we had a good time.

When everything was over I had one last session with the first person I interviewed with to see if I had any questions.  I guess they've interviews two other people, so it's just a matter of decided which of us they hire!  I should be hearing back either by Tuesday or sometime the following week (because of Thanksgiving and all).

So then I came home.  Or... I tried... but apparently Google Maps decided to take me on the longest possible route back.  For some reason it didn't want to just take me back the way I came?  So it had me go through downtown Columbus during rush hour?  I was pretty upset.  But I eventually made it home.  I was quite ready to be back.

Ok.  That's all for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment