8.27.2011

Day 97

Alright.  Yesterday.  Yesterday was a really good day.  Math finance went... about normal.  We're starting to get into new stuff so that's been good.  I had a meeting for all the GAs with teaching jobs after math finance.  We talked about teaching strategies, problems, surprises, and things of that nature.  I shared that I was very surprised at how well behaved everyone was.  But I think that it's because I scared them with my syllabus.  It's very strict and firmly states that I won't put up with their shenanigans.  So they've been really good.  One of the other GAs made me laugh.  He had this really confused look on his face and he said "Some of my students just don't show up to class on occasion.  And others won't do homework!  I don't really understand why."  I decided that he didn't know many people during his years at undergrad.


Life contingencies also went really well today.  We spent the first five or ten minutes of class talking about the upcoming job fair and whether any of us stood a chance at ever getting jobs.  Mr. Dean (the professor and the actuarial science adviser) told us that even if we haven't taken any exams, we have a chance of getting at least an interview if we have evidence of good people skills and good grades on our resumes.  He also told us that if we've taken the first few exams we're almost 100% guaranteed to get a job.  The people at the job fairs aren't going to just look at the best two students and tell the rest of us to go work at McDonald's.  It was just very encouraging that if we do well and pass the test we're apparently guaranteed to get jobs.  I guess that before the recession he had a 100% job placement rate after graduation.  He said that it's slowly increasing from the recession, but his best bet was that after graduation half of us (a conservative guess) would have jobs and the other half would have jobs in the following few months.  Now I just need to pass the actuarial exams...


After class I came back to my apartment and Kimmy and I got lunch.  After lunch I did some work on my calendar to schedule preparation and homework times.  Then I did some grading and various blackboard work.  I felt bad for Kimmy that I didn't have time to do much of anything... but this first week has been busy because of on getting the books until Wednesday.


We went to Jessie's for dinner of spaghetti and meatballs.  Richard had something with his department so he couldn't join.  Dinner was good.  I feel like I've been talk a lot about what's going on in my life recently.  Like more than normal.  It's weird.  Anyhow, when Richard came back he had do go for a long run and Jessie was going to ride her bike with him.  So Kimmy and I came back to my apartment while they did that.  I did some statistics homework.  Woo.  Then around 9:30 we went back over to Jessie's for dessert!  It was yummy.  Then Kimmy and I came back around 10:15 and it was bed time.  Yay early bed time on Friday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment