8.25.2011

Day 96

Oh, what a day.  I feel like most of them are becoming such things.


This morning I had math finance and life contingencies.  They were fine.  We talked more about interest in math finance (woo....).  Between classes I went up to my office and read some for life contingencies.  When I got to that class we were reminded yet again that getting an A in the class means nothing.  So you know... that's comforting.  Someone did come it to tell us about an upcoming resume building seminar next Thursday, so I'll be sure to to go that.  Mr. Dean (the professor) said that they look really highly on interviewers who have documented experience working with people and being in charge of people.  So I'm hoping that my classroom teaching experiences will be beneficial, especially since I haven't taken any of the actuarial exams.  Mr. Dean also mentioned that internships that become jobs are becoming more common... so I depending on how things go there's a chance that I might not be graduating until next winter.  A little inconvenient, but if if that's what it takes to get a job then I guess I'll have to do it.


After life contingencies (which I'm thankfully starting to pick up on) I taught my class.  It went really well.  After I took roll I started off talking about learning styles.  I told my class that I have no problem lecturing for an hour but I was certain that none of them learned best that way.  So we had a really good talk about how they learn best and ways that I can present that will help them understand.  After that I read them a story from the Book of Virtues.  A couple people had heard of it.  I read them the story of Genghis Khan and his hawk.  It's about self discipline.  They all clapped when I was done :)  When I'd finished reading I got on with the lecture.  I really liked how it went.  They are very respectful while I'm talking but are very quick to ask questions are add when appropriate.  If this keeps up it will be a very good semester.


When class was over I went to my office to eat a quick lunch.  I had a meeting at 1 about the project for my class.  That went ok.  It was a meeting.  We spent 20 minutes discussing why a rubric with 4 standards worth a possible 4 points per standard (for a maximum possible score of 16) was being broken up into "exemplary," "sufficient," and "not sufficient."  It just seemed like someone could have made a decision and just told the rest of us.  Oh well.


I came back to my apartment after that and started working on homework.  More reading, more writing definitions.  Around 3:30 I made a meatloaf for dinner.  Then Kimmy came around...4ish?  So that was lovely :)  We had dinner (meatloaf and mashed potatoes!) and it was tasty.  Then I did some more homework.  Kimmy is nice.  She started grading my homework for me so I had more time to do other work.  She's good to me.


Around 6:30 I had to leave to go do homework with people.  I think there were 9 of us.  I really liked that group.  Dustin was going to join us but he had a meeting he had to attend.  I asked him in class today if he was a group study-er or a lone wolf and he said "well... I'm really just shy."  So I invited him.  I think we finally decided to be done around 9:30 or so.  And now I'm back.  And I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment