8.16.2011

Day 86

This morning started off earlier than any I've had in a very long time.  I got up around 7:30 for my 9:00 appointment with my faculty mentor, Dr. Begum.  So after getting breakfast and showering and everything, mom and dad prayed with me.  Then I headed over to Ball Stat Campus to go find an office!  Richard told me about some free parking just off campus, so I went there.  It was really nice weather so the walk was very enjoyable.  The math department is located in the Robert Bell building, which is connected to two other buildings. However, I didn't see a sign for Robert Bell so I kept walking until I got to the last building.  Since I wasn't really sure where I was I asked someone at the bookstore.  She was able to tell me where to go, thankfully.


So after wandering around for a little bit longer, I found Dr. Begum's office.  I was just about to knock on the door when she opened it (I think she had just gotten there herself).  She was... startled, to say the least.  But she recovered and we discussed what all I would be doing.  It appears that I will be teaching every class.  She'll be observing me for the first and another class near the end.  Otherwise I'm on my own (unless I need help, of course).  So over the next couple days I need to work on making a syllabus and figure out what I'm doing.  That should be exciting!  I have plenty of materials, so it shouldn't be too bad.  I just need to get on it and do it.  After I finished my meeting, I talked with the coordinators in the math department to get my textbooks, answer key, and office key.  Since I was the first person to get my resources, I was also able to get a test bank!  Woo!  And I have an office!  Granted I have to share it with two other graduate assistants... but I have an office.  And I feel special :)  Because of how everything is number, at first when I got to the room that I assumed was my office, I was very confused.  It was a conference room.  And the key didn't work.  So I went back to the office and the coordinators explained that my office was around the corner... I was in room 331c, not 331.  It was all very confusing, but they helped me figure out what was going on.


When I got back we started moving me in!  The move in process was very efficient.  We had a small issue with the renter's insurance, but that got taken care of shortly.  I met my room mate while I was standing in line.  He was behind me and heard me tell the registration people my name so he introduced himself.  We were able to talk more after we got our stuff moved in.  It didn't take long to do so since mom, dad, and Richard were all helping me.  When we were done, dad took us to Jimmy John's for lunch.  After we'd finished eating, mom and dad went home and I drove Richard back to the apartments.  I spent some time arranging the apartment, my room, and the kitchen.  While we we were at lunch, Windermere apartments called me.  I think they asked if I would mind having another person in our apartment?  There was a lot of noise and I was kinda confused.  But I think that's what they asked.  So we may have another person moving in with us at some point...?


I met some of Andre's friends that came to visit him as he and I were unpacking.  But I don't remember either of their names.... Whoops.  But they were nice.  After I got kinda settled in I went to the bank to deposit a check and then to Wal-mart to get some food and other things that I needed.  Like a shower curtain... apparently they don't have those provided.  I decided to make do without getting new sheets, even though they aren't the right size.  I have a double bed, but I have extra long twin sheets.  So I'm not using the fitted sheets... We'll see how this goes.  I felt like an adult going to Wal-mart, figuring out what food I needed to get, and getting it!  It was weird.  But I managed and I think I will have food to sustain me through the rest of the week at least.  When I got back and put my food away, I called the internet people to get my internet working.  After about half an hour of talking with some guy on the phone and trying to get stuff fixed...nothing happened.  So he said he would make an appointment for Thursday, but hopefully it would all get fixed before that.  So I took a shower, then I decided to take a nap, because I was tired.


I woke up around 7 and went down to the pool party/cook out that was going on.  I just kinda of went down by myself since I didn't know anyone.  So I got my hot dog and just kind of stood around for a while.  Eventually I started talking with some of the staff and people ended up joining us.  I met a few people.  I don't remember the first two guy's names.... shoot.  But then I met Shara, Rick, and Dree.  The first guy invited me back to his apartment to watch a movie, but I forgot where he said he lived.  Well, I thought I remembered.  But when I got over there the apartment number I remembered did not exist, so I guess I remembered incorrectly.  So I came back to my apartment, browsed Reddit, and now I'm going to bed!  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment