8.19.2011

Day 89

I was too tired to update last night, so here I am doing it now!


Yesterday morning after I woke up I browsed Reddit for a little bit, then started working on my syllabus.  I didn't really have any idea what I was doing.  I pulled up a syllabus from a class at Mount Vernon as a reference, an email from Dr. Fischer, and a general syllabus for the class.  I started off by just copying and pasting from the general syllabus and doing some reformatting, but I realized that it was going to be a very long and not very specific syllabus.  Apparently the general syllabus was really just a few pages of what was expected from the class and the syllabus I made.  So after I figured that out, I started making the real thing.  I think it turned out pretty well.  It's about two pages long.  I also got to pick 3 of the chapters that I'll be teaching (3 of them were already picked for every section to do), so I made sure to include the chapter on consumer math, which has stuff like saving, interest, and things of that nature.


After I finished making my syllabus I had time to get a quick lunch, shower, then go pick Richard up for orientation.  It was really boring.  The first hour involved some lady basically convincing us why we should be at Ball State.  I think she forgot we were already pretty committed to going...  Anyhow.  Orientation was not awesome.  But it had to be done.


When we got back it was about 4:30 so I started making dinner... just some spaghetti.  There was a grad student mixer last night at some little restaurant downtown.  It was pretty fun.  I met a lot of people.  Probably for the first half hour I talked with a guy named Ralph and another guy named... I don't remember his name.  They were both studying Urban Planning.  I enjoyed talking with them.  Then a guy named Greg talked with me a for a little bit.  When he went off to find more people I sat at a table with...hmm.. Liz, Ben, Shawn, and....someone else.  And then another person joined.  Shoot.  I can't remember everyone.  Ben was in charge of the second part of the orientation where we broke into different groups and just asked questions.  Then I started talking with the last person who sat down.  She is an art teacher and already has a masters in school counseling.  So now she's getting another masters in art.  So we talked about education and all sorts of fun stuff like that.  It was really loud in there because there were so many people, so we were all shouting the entire time.  I decided to move on to more people and found a group of people that wasn't in some deep conversation so I felt like I could actually join.  So I talked with them.  They were fun.  They didn't like how uppity a lot of the other grad students were.  So we had a good time.  Our group of...5?  Yeah, 5 of us ended up leaving and just walking around downtown for a while.  Let's see... Lauren, Katy, Mathias, and Liz.  Yeah, we all walked around. Lauren and Liz are roommates and live in Windermere also, so we all went back and hung out at their apartment for a while.  Then it suddenly got really late and I came back!  The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment