8.10.2011

Day 79

So this was a pretty good day.  Thankfully it was far more calm than yesterday... That was way too much.  This morning after I got up the garage door repair guy called to come fix the garage door.  He got there around ten.  And he fixed it.  Yay!  I guess he signified that he was done by knocking on the door into the house... I didn't realize that.  I must have gone downstairs three times to check the front door and no one was there.  Finally I opened the door into the garage and he was just standing there.  Oh well.  He got it fixed.


I had an omelette for breakfast.  It was pretty good.  I really like eggs.


After breakfast I Facebook chatted with Brandon for a little bit and caught up with his life.  That's always an adventure.  Love ya Brandon :)


After I took a shower got a form printed out to send to MVNU so that they will send a final transcript to Ball State.  Apparently I never did that.  Ball State never asked for one... but I feel like they should want one?  They're getting a transcript whether they want it or not.  I missed the mailman, so I had to go to the post office.  Then I went to grandparents to move some chairs to the garage and bring a box inside.  After that poppy and I played canasta.  It was an interesting game.  For one hand he would have all the wild cards, then I would get them all, then he would... it just went back and forth.  In the end he beat me by a couple hundred points (which isn't that much, for those who haven't played).  Being the bright person that I am I forgot to take my shirts with me for mama to tailor, so I made plans for a second trip later.


When I got home I finished getting dinner ready that mom had started.  And by that I mean I stirred the chili.  While dad and I ate he told me about all the excitement that was to come at practice... talking with a junior about how she hasn't been showing "varsity level" effort, then working with another player who has a bit of an attitude problem.  He was pretty excited about that.  That was a lie.


After dinner I played a little bit of a "game" called Stanley Parable.  It was more of an artistic game than anything else.  It had about 6 different ending depending on which paths you chose.  There was a narrator who told you where to go, but you didn't have to follow.  For instance "when Stanley approached the room with two doors, he went through the left one."  If you go through the left, the story continues without hitch.  Going through the right one earns you a "Now Stanley knew that was not the right direction, but he was so bad with directions he went that way anyway.  Not wanting to upset anyone he took the first possible left and headed back the correct way."  If you choose not to go on the proper path, the narrator gets even more heated and angered.  It was very interesting.  A game that truly gives the illusion of choice.  Most games give you no options, simply do the one thing that you are told to do.  But there were options in Stanley Parable.  Even though all the options were scripted, you felt like you had the freedom to choose.  Interestingly enough, the only way to "win" and gain your freedom out of the facility was to follow the directions, so as to make you not even feel like you truly earned your freedom.  A very interesting concept.


After dad went to practice I went to go watch a soccer game for him.  Findlay was scrimmaging St. Mary's and Liberty Benton plays St. Mary's in a couple weeks.  So I watched to see how St. Mary's is.  And they were very good.  Findlay generally has a very good team and St. Mary's was putting up a very good fight, which is saying quite a bit since Findlay is division 1 and St. Mary's is division 2.  So... good luck Liberty Benton.


At half time it looked like there was a storm coming so I left and went to visit the grandparents again.  Mama measured some stuff so she could make my shirts fit better, then we sat around and talked for a bit.  We discussed college educations and how most of the lessons are not ones that are explicitly remembered.  Most lessons change your way of thinking.  Which is kind of frightening if you think about it.  We learn so much of how we think in school that over a few generations, life can be drastically different.  Let's say the a generations' teachers taught them a certain philosophy.  If that generation rejected it, they would pick something new to teach their children.  If the children liked it, they would grow up living out the philosophy.  Those children become the janitors, CEOs, and presidents of the country, which dictates how the rest of us live.  And I think we're seeing that now in our country.  Teachers/professors are unhappy with how things are, so they instill new doctrines into their students to change the future.  And it is reasons like these that I left education... all of that power and responsibility, yet it is one of the most under appreciated and government crucified areas.  No thanks.


When I got home I talked with dad and mom for a while about their days and told them about mine.  Then I did some dishes while they made lunch.  And I finished the day with my standard Team Fortress with Miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment