8.17.2011

Day 87

Today was a bit of a slow day, which certainly wasn't a bad thing.  I got up around 8:30, ate breakfast, then went down to the gym to work out.  I don't really like the weights they have down there.  The grips are studded metal and kinda rip my palms up when I use them.  So either I'm going to get phenomenal callouses soon or I'm going to get gloves.  Anyhow, that went alright.  It was just one of the managers here at Windermere and myself, so the room was nice and quiet.  Some guy came down and talked to the guy who was also working out (this would make so much more sense if I knew names...).  When I was done working out, I saw that I had a missed call from an unknown number.  So I called it back, but got no response.  After my obligatory checking of Facebook and Reddit, I got a call from the unknown number again.  It turned out to be some one named Clifton who was considering moving into Windermere and he wanted to take a look around an apartment.  So he came over, I showed him around and talked with him for a while.  He was very nice and friendly.  He asked me where I was from and I told him northwest Ohio.  So he asks me "Have you ever heard of Mount Vernon?"  Floored, I explained how I had gotten my bachelor's there.  Apparently he has friends who live in Mount Vernon.  He reminisced about how after church on Sunday they would all go over the the MVNU cafeteria for lunch.  So that was pretty cool.


After Clifton left I took a shower.  Yesterday Andre showed me how to unplug the fan in the bathroom because there is only one switch and it turns both the light and fan on.  So today I showered with my bathroom door open so that it didn't get so hot and everything.  That went well.  These showers are a bit small, but it's not so bad.  It's not worth complaints.  After my shower I got lunch and finished watching Freakonomics.  Someday I want to read the book.  They made some very interesting claims.  The part that I watched today discussed why the crime rate in 1990 began to steadily decrease, when it had been steadily increasing before that.  One of the economists in question said that about 50% was from increased use of prisons, more elaborate police measures, and other things of that nature.  However, he also believed  (and had data to back up his claim) that the legalization of abortions had a lot to do with it.  He specifically said that he was not using this to advocate the morality of abortions, just that he felt the data was point toward this conclusion.  He reasoned that in most situations, the people who commit crimes are usually born into struggling families of a lower socio-economic status.  Prior to the legalization of abortions, if these families had a unwanted child, they would not properly parent the child, which significantly increased the likelihood of a life of crime, starting between ages 15 and 20.  But 17 years after Roe vs. Wade in 1973, the crime rate started to decrease.  His theory is that those families who did not want children (and would have not given proper attention to their children, thus increasing the possibility of criminal activity) instead got an abortion, meaning that the would be criminal was never born.  These families then never had children or waited until they were ready to have children.  So that was interesting.


After lunch Richard and I went for a drive.  He showed me downtown Muncie (which doesn't have a whole lot), then we went to the campus to find out where our orientation is tomorrow.  It got pretty warm.  I was sweating a lot.  I hate sweating... blah.  But we figured out where we're going.  Woo!


When we got back I played some Team Fortress, had a sandwich, and just relaxed for a little bit.  Around 4:45 Jessie and Richard came over and got me so we could go to the state fair!  We drove to some mall where shuttle took us to the fair.  Apparently it was Two Dollar Tuesday, so it only cost $2 to get it.  So that was a nice surprise.  We went to go see the horses and sheep and things.  Then we looked at some art work.  I really liked the photographs.  They were really good.  In between all of this we had to wade through a literal ocean of people.  But yeah, it was pretty cool.  There was one picture in particular which I was really good.  It was a picture of a very toned guy with some tattoos and dreadlocks.  But he had a really pretty face and the dreadlocks looked really good.  I would have taken a picture but that was strictly forbidden.  Oh well.  There were also some really neat LEGO sculptures.  Well, perhaps "scenes" would be more accurate.  I would upload some pictures... but I'm tired and it would take too long.  Maybe if I think of it tomorrow.  Anyhow, after the art section we stood in line to get ice cream.  And milk.  That milk tasted really good.


Then... we waited to get on the shuttle... and came back!  And I'm very tired, so I'm going to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment