8.20.2011

Day 90

Yesterday seems like it was kind of a blur.  I got up, had some cereal with a banana, and browsed Reddit for a while.  I didn't sleep well Thursday night, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.  I was pretty unproductive for most of the morning.  For some reason unbeknownst to me, I think I pulled or strained a muscle in my groin-region.  It made standing and walking difficult.  So I sat as much as I could.  I played some Team Fortress and fixed my syllabus.  I forgot to include a grade scale when I sent it off to Dr. Begum, so I fixed that.


After lunch I considered cleaning but ultimately decided not to.  When I'd procrastinated just a little bit longer I got ready to go to my afternoon meeting for all the math GAs.  Dr. Fischer talked about our responsibilities as GAs, how to record hours worked, who to contact with questions, how to balance being a student and GA, and stuff like that.  I guess I didn't realize it, but apparently on the schedule I am as listed as the instructor.  Not my faculty mentor (Dr. Begum), not "staff" or "graduate assistant."  Nope: "Pagano."  I feel pretty special.  After the meeting I went to talk with Dr. Begum and ask her some questions about my class, like what to do the first day, how to dress, and things like that.  I forgot to ask her what to have the students call me.  Because I don't feel like I'm certified to be called a professor, but I don't really want them calling me by my first name either.  If it was an upper division course I would probably just have them call me Joel, but since these are mostly freshman who think they're hot-shots because they're in college, I am anticipating that I will need to ensure a specific set of regulations and chain of command.  I don't want them thinking that just because I'm relatively close to their age that they shouldn't take me or this class seriously.  So I think freshman are more likely to take me less seriously (because of my age) if I let them call me by my first name.  So we'll see.


After the meeting was over I made a quick dinner, packed, cleaned, and left for home!  I had to stop after about half an hour because I was getting tired, so I got a Mountain Dew and felt better.  I made it home in about 2.5 hours, which was surprising considering that I felt as thought half of that I was behind someone going 3 miles per hour....  When I got home I sat around and talked with mom and dad for a while.  Dad told me about his recent soccer game, mom told me about work, and I told them about my class.  When they were going to bed I left and went to go hang out with Becky and Miles.  When I got there they were near the end of the Princess Bride, so we finished watching that.  Miles showed off the costume that Becky made for him for the upcoming Renaissance festival.  It was very impressive.  Then we sat around and talked for a while...which meant that Miles and I got carried away and started talking about philosophy and thought experiments. Becky's a trooper... she lets us sit in her house and talk about things which do not interest her at all.  I was pretty tired from my day, so I came home around midnight and went to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment